× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 516 root partition

SCUBAInstructor
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 516 root partition

Hi

What is an acceptable (normal right after installation) disk usage for the root partition?

NETGEAR has abandoned the ReadyNAS line and we are stuck on Jessie. For 'apt-get install' the repositories were removed and installing stuff gets tricky.

I wanted to install git on rm RDD516 (ReadyNAS 6.10.8) and had to build it from source. After cleaning up some stuff I end up with disk usage for root of 69%.

My RN516 (ReadyNAS 6.10.8) shows 58% for root with nothing additional installed. I read in some post that 58% is considered high already.

Best

Jochen

Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 516 root partition

@SCUBAInstructor wrote:

What is an acceptable (normal right after installation) disk usage for the root partition?

Typically 25% or less.  I do have a couple of things installed on my main NAS, and it is running at about 31% at the moment.

@SCUBAInstructor wrote:

I wanted to install git on rm RDD516 (ReadyNAS 6.10.8) and had to build it from source. After cleaning up some stuff I end up with disk usage for root of 69%.

One avenue is to copy the git folders onto the data volume, and then replace the folder in roots with soft links to the ones on the data volume.  

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements