× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 51600 & Movie Subtitles

TomBlack
Guide

ReadyNAS 51600 & Movie Subtitles

Looking at purchasing a ReadyNAS 51600.  Would like to confirm if this unit and the latest Firmware can display subtitles muxed into .MKV files correctly?  My Sony Blu-Ray can handle, so I need to know if this ReadyNAS can deliver. 

Can it handle Subtitle Files placed in the same Folder as the movie?

Thank you

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
TomBlack
Guide

Re: ReadyNAS 51600 & Movie Subtitles

I did go foward with getting this unit.   The Firmware DLNA does support embedded Subtitles in .MKV movies very nicely, and does not require Plex to see subtitles.

Thanks for your reply!

View solution in original post

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay Diskless
Message 5 of 6

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You may find this thread helpful (though it is for an older NAS running an older OS): https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/ReadyDLNA-Sony-BluRay-Player-SRT-MKV/td-p/94139...

You could use Plex Media Server rather than ReadyDLNA if you want.

Message 2 of 6
TomBlack
Guide

Thanks.  The thread you refer is circa 2014 for another NAS unit.  How would one know that muxing subtitles into .MKV files still works in 2016 on the ReadyNAS 516 Firmware?

Have read that Plex has this capability in its Settings, but would prefer something Native as opposed to Add on.  Simpler is usually better.

Thanks

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@TomBlack wrote:

Thanks.  The thread you refer is circa 2014 for another NAS unit.  How would one know that muxing subtitles into .MKV files still works in 2016 on the ReadyNAS 516 Firmware?

Although I haven't tried this (I use SMB directly with my media players), I don't think Netgear would have removed the feature. Hopefully someone who uses this particular feature will chime in.

If you are interested in streaming to your mobile devices (esp. over the internet) you will end up with plex anyway - it's real-time transcoding feature is pretty important there (and not available in ReadyDLNA).

Message 4 of 6
TomBlack
Guide

I did go foward with getting this unit.   The Firmware DLNA does support embedded Subtitles in .MKV movies very nicely, and does not require Plex to see subtitles.

Thanks for your reply!

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay Diskless
Message 5 of 6
TomBlack
Guide

I reviewed all Product IGs and Firmware 6.4.2 Docs.....No where was there a discussion about DLNA being able to handle embedded Subtitle Files in digital movies.  This is a huge disservice to customers and potential customers, especially when this feature was a HUGE buying point for me.  As all forms of entertainment goes more digital, NetGear should be more visible about this feature, and make sure this feature is listed in all product documentation.  Many programs support Subtitles in movies because of subtitle popularity. 

Also, NetGear ReadyNAS developers should know of its importance and continue to support it.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements