× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 6 Ultra Power Supply Replacement

jtrosky
Guide

ReadyNAS 6 Ultra Power Supply Replacement

I recently purchased a ReadyNAS Ultra 6 with (6) 2TB hard drives.  The other day I started to get email notifications about the voltages (these were the last few before the unit said a drive was no longer present, then was present again and started a rebuild) - I shut the unit down after that:

Wed May 16 2018 11:52:53   System: V-12 voltage in enclosure Internal is out of spec. (-10.73 V).
Wed May 16 2018 11:47:47   System: V-12 voltage in enclosure Internal is out of spec. (-10.73 V).
Wed May 16 2018 11:47:27   System: V-12 voltage in enclosure Internal is out of spec. (-10.73 V).
Wed May 16 2018 11:46:57   System: V-12 voltage in enclosure Internal is out of spec. (-10.73 V).
Wed May 16 2018 11:40:50   System: V5_0 voltage in enclosure Internal is out of spec. (4.56 V).
Wed May 16 2018 11:29:48   System: V5_0 voltage in enclosure Internal is out of spec. (4.56 V).

I was *really* surprised to find that Netgear doesn't (and never has) sold replacement power supplies!  Do they really expect you to "toss" such an expensive piece of equipment because a $50 power supply fails???

Anyway, I started my search for a replacement power supply.  The SeaSonic SS-300SFD is not very easy to find, so I ended up purchasing a "PowerMan IP-P300BN7-2" - wasn't even sure if it would work.  I got the PowerMan power supply and found that it only has (2) power cables - each having (1) SATA power connection and (1) 4-Pin molex power connection.  So I didn't have enough leads to simply cut off the ends and solder the original 90-degree molex connectors onto them (need 3 separate leads to do that).  So, being desparate, I decided to just use what it had - I put a "2 to 1" adapter on one of the 4-pin molex power connectors, which gave me a total of (3) molex power connections.

Long story short - it works perfectly!  No issues whatsoever.  I even got the PowerMan power supply for $24.99.  🙂  It does *not* need a 24-pin extension like some have needed when using the SeaSonic SS-300SFD replacement.  But you do need a 2-to-1 molex adapater.  But still, for less than $30, I have a fully-functional ReadyNAS 6 ultimate again.  🙂

Just an FYI in case anyone else runs into the same situation...  I did eventually find a SeaSonic SS-300SFD and have it on order, to keep around as a spare, but the PowerMan seems to work great...

Model: ReadyNAS-Ultra 6|ReadyNAS-Ultra 6
Message 1 of 2
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS 6 Ultra Power Supply Replacement

Hi jtrosky,

Thank you for sharing your resolution and/or workaround. We appreciate your contribution to the community.

Feel free to post any suggestions, questions, recommendations or anything about your NAS that you think needs attention or will help others.

Regards,

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements