× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Duo hard drive warranty

masa2
Tutor

ReadyNAS Duo hard drive warranty

If my ReadyNAS Frontview warns me about reallocated sector counts, is it a fault under warranty?
It works fine for now but reallocated sector count is about 1000 and rising so probably the drive is going to break soon.

Can I send the hard drives to Netgear warranty repair or is the warranty via hard drive manufacturer? Even if the ReadyNAS duo came with these disks?
Message 1 of 20
HERBIEO
Aspirant

If it came with disks preinstalled i would think netgear will manage the warranty, put a support ticket in. https://my.netgear.com/myNETGEAR/support.asp
Message 2 of 20
StephenB
Guru

HERBIEO wrote:
If it came with disks preinstalled i would think netgear will manage the warranty, put a support ticket in. https://my.netgear.com/myNETGEAR/support.asp
Note that some resellers put the disks in on their own (occasionally ignoring the HCL!). My understanding is that "Preinstalled" means "Preinstalled by Netgear" in this case.

The way to sort this out would be to put in a support ticket (use the on-line way if you are not entitled to free phone support).

Also note that Seagate will let you enter your drive serial number and will provide you with your Seagate warranty status. I'm not sure about other manufacturers though.
Message 3 of 20
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

1000 reallocated sectors is well beyond the 50 sector requirement to start the replacement process. Once you have a case open, please let us know what your case number is.
Message 4 of 20
masa2
Tutor

When sending my hard drive to warranty. Do I need to uninstall the harddrive rack, which locks the harddrive to readynas? The picture of them here: http://www.storagereview.com/images/Rea ... -Trays.jpg

And when packing the drive. Do I need to write the RMA number to the label of the package or only put a document inside the box?
I got an email attachment PDF. Which was some sort of DHL shipping address and other information. But the address is a little different to the address which is in the e-mail message.

This in the e-mail:

Regenersis
Muréngatan 38
SE-802 10 Gävle
SWEDEN
+46 (0)26 54 15 60

And this in the PDF:

To
NETGEAR c/o Anovo Nordic AB
Jessica Eriksson
Muréngatan 38
Box 536
80255 Gävle
SE Sweden

also the sender is the same in that PDF.
Message 5 of 20
StephenB
Guru

I would keep the drive tray (and the screws!). Though I have never needed to do a Netgear RMA.
Message 6 of 20
Slasky
Aspirant

I guess they have two different locations for their servicecenter and RMA returns, so I'd follow the packageslip from DHL.
Message 7 of 20
masa2
Tutor

If disk 1 led is lit and disk 2 led flashes continuously. Is this normal and what does it mean?
I have 2 x 1 TB hard drives.
Message 8 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sounds like a resync is occurring. DId you replace a disk?
Message 9 of 20
masa2
Tutor

Yes I replaced a new from warranty and it seems to be resyncing when I checked the volume settings.
Message 10 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Good. What you are seeing is normal. The disks need to be synced sector by sector.
Message 11 of 20
masa2
Tutor

I have another ReadyNAS Duo V1 disk with 88 reallocated sectors and 1 ATA error so it may be replaceable?

In the same NAS I have also disk which has 0 reallocated sectors and 30 ATA errors. What is the limit for ATA errors to get a new disk from warranty?
Message 12 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If it came pre-installed in the Duo by NetGear and has a count over 50 it would replaced (if still under warranty).

If disks were not pre-installed by NetGear, hook the disks up to a PC and test them e.g. using SeaTools for SeaGate disks. Both those disks I think probably need replacing. What version of RAIDiator is on that Duo v1?
Message 13 of 20
masa2
Tutor

Seagate came preinstalled and it has 88 reallocated sectors.

The other one is western digital and it is installed later. It has 30 ATA errors but have to check it with WD Diagnostics. Any idea what WD thinks about 30 ATA erros, will it be replaced in warranty?

RAIDiator version is 4.1.9
Message 14 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Contact NetGear about the SeaGate disk.

What model WD disk? Did you add it while you were running RAIDiator 4.1.6 or earlier? If so, you likely got those ATA errors due to a compatibility issue and there may not be a problem with the WD disk.
Message 15 of 20
masa2
Tutor

The model is WD1001FALS
Message 16 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

From a quick google search that would be a drive that had the compatibility issue. Did you add that drive while running 4.1.6 or earlier?
Message 17 of 20
masa2
Tutor

I don't know, I got this NAS used. The hard drive is bought February 2010 and Readynas has automatic updates enabled.
Message 18 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Considering RAIDIator 4.1.7 (http://www.readynas.com/RAIDiator_4_1_7_Notes was released November 2010 if you added the disk months earlier and did 5 reboots (including one to install the firmware update to 4.1.7) It's not surprising that you'd have an ATA error count of 30 (5*6). If you got all those ATA errors on/before November 2010 then they were probably all due to a compatibility issue with that drive in 4.1.6 or earlier.
Message 19 of 20
StephenB
Guru

I think it would be tricky to sort out if the drive is covered by Netgear (or even was supplied by them), and I think Netgear's warranty isn't automatically transferred when the unit is sold.

If the ATA counts are not increasing, then I wouldn't worry about it. I have some WDC drives that had the compatibility issue in one of my older NAS, and they are working fine.

If the ATA counts are increasing, then you should consider replacing the drive, whether it is covered by warranty or not.
Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements