× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo stuck at boot

magnusg
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo stuck at boot

My ReadyNAS Duo gets stuck at boot.The fan runs max, the power button blinks quite rapidly, and act and disk leds are off. No echo on Raidar.

(It broke about a year ago, and I thought it was dead after trying various moves from forum. Then, I got such beautiful help from mdgm with a similar problem on my Ultra yesterday, so I though I'd give it a shot to get this fixed as well.)

Any suggestions? If it is a bad drive (which was the case for my Ultra), then how do I proceed and identify which one? Could I just safely try to boot with one of the drives removed, and if that works just plug a new one for the broken?
Message 1 of 17
vandermerwe
Master

Re: ReadyNAS Duo stuck at boot

Do you have a v1 or v2?
http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how ... -or-nv-v2/
What firmware?
Do you have a backup?

Yes you could power down, remove one disk then boot up. If this fails, power down, replace the disk, remove the other and boot up. Make sure you power off before removing or reinserting disks.

If you don't have a backup and you have a v1, you may be able to read disk 1 using linux reader.

You say you looked for a solution a year ago? I can't see any postings from you about this.
Message 2 of 17
magnusg
Aspirant

Thanks for helping. It seems to be a v1 (it fits all description including stuck tray button). I re-registered at the forum the other day since I could not find my old credentials. I am not even sure I posted when it broke, may have just read existing threads. I also already had my new Ultra 6 up and running so it was not urgent at the time. When the Ultra failed yesterday and I got such good help here to fix it, I thought I might have given up too easy on the Duo. So, now I want to give it a try.

Don't remember firmware version (and cannot check as it doesn't boot), but I know I upgraded multiple times.

I think most data got transfered to the Ultra. Might be some unique data left. Not sure if backup exist, but probably not.

I'll try the single disk boot now.
Message 3 of 17
magnusg
Aspirant

I could add that I cannot shutdown with power button. Need to disconnect power cord. Does that change the diagnosis?
Message 4 of 17
magnusg
Aspirant

No luck with single disk boot (neither one). However, without disks it seems to come up, and blinks softly with the power button and unhappily with all four green leds, which I assume means it misses the disks.

Both disks bad..?
Message 5 of 17
StephenB
Guru

Can you test them in a PC with vendor tools (seatools for Seagate, lifeguard for WDC)?
Message 6 of 17
magnusg
Aspirant

I guess I could. Need to get a chassis. Thanks for suggesting. Those are free tools, I assume?
Message 7 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes they are free tools provided by the drive manufacturers.
Message 8 of 17
vandermerwe
Master

Do you have a spare disk you could put in and factory default the unit to see if you can boot
Message 9 of 17
magnusg
Aspirant

I don't have a spare at hand.

So do I understand correctly that best case with the old disks is that one of them can be detected with the seagate or wd tools to be recoverable or even fine. That would mean I could restore the data from the pc?

If I factory default the Duo with a new disk, that means I will not be able to use the old drives again without reformatting?
Message 10 of 17
magnusg
Aspirant

What if I boot without disks, which seemed to work, and the hot insert one of them when system is running? Will it be detected? May I destroy or corrupt data?
Message 11 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If one disk is bad, put the good disk back in the NAS and try booting. Don't try to repair the disk using the PC. Run non-destructive tests.

The factory default only touches the disks in the NAS at the time. Could power off, remove spare disk and put old disk(s) back in and attempt to boot.

Once no disks are detected the NAS will not boot normally till the next reboot.
Message 12 of 17
vandermerwe
Master

If you test the disks and they are both ok then there is obviously a problem with the chassis ( flash, memory, or something else) or you may have a problem with the OS and/or OS partition.
If disk 1 is ok you should be able to read it using linux reader.
If you hot insert a disk it will be wiped.
Ok, mdgm types quicker than me.
Message 13 of 17
magnusg
Aspirant

Ok, but I already tried single disk boot without success. Even if a readonly test tells one disk is fine, I guess that fact would not change if nothing is changed with the disk? However, if any of the disks can be read from PC I guess the data can be saved, at least.

I'll get a spare drive and test the factory default, to check if unit is ok. If that work I'll give the old drives a new try, but if the factory default only touches the inserted drive(s) then I guess it should have no effect for the old ones in this scenario. I thought maybe something was flashed or so.

Thanks.
Message 14 of 17
magnusg
Aspirant

Thank you both. I know what to try and what not to do. Your help is fantastic.
Message 15 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

In tech support mode when the disks are inserted the unit crashes. Probably one of the disks is failing badly.
Message 16 of 17
mgupta
Aspirant

One of the drives were bad for me that caused the system to hung in "Booting..." forever. After locating the bad drive, system is running smoothly. Try different combinations of 3 out of 4 drives. If the good drives are in slots, your system should boot up smoothly. "Avoid seagate drives"

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements