× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ Frozen at Quota Check

msilverz
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ Frozen at Quota Check

Greetings! I came home to find that my ReadyNAS NV+ (which is at least five years old) had frozen and was invisible to RAIDar. After being turned off and on again, the NV+ started the quota check. But it froze at 25.4%. I tried again, and this time it froze at 15.1%. I've read some other threads here, and it looks like this can happen when one of the drives starts to fail. However, I didn't receive any warnings or drive errors, and I don't know which drive is the problem drive (or if there even is a problem). I have two 1 TB drives in a simple RAID 1 configuration.

So, here are my questions:

1. Does the frozen quota check mean that I definitely have a problem with one of the hard drives?

2. If the answer to 1 is yes, how can I tell which hard drive is the wonky one?

I do have a backup by USB, so if I have to replace both drives I'll survive, but of course I'd rather not do that if I can avoid it. I've read through three or four threads here, but I'm still not sure how I should proceed. I know that one option is to go into the boot menu and skip the volume check, but the NetGear website insists that this should be done only after consultation with NetGear support. So, I'd be grateful for any advice or suggestions. Thanks!

Matthew

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
msilverz
Aspirant

Never mind! I popped out drive 1, restarted the NV+, and it booted up normally. I was then able to access the logs where I discovered that drive 1 had indeed been reporting errors: "Disk 1 did not pass SMART self-assessment test. Please replace this disk as soon as possible. Growing SMART errors indicate a disk that may fail soon. If the errors continue to increase, you should be prepared to replace the disk." I didn't receive any alerts to this effect, which is why I was taken by surprise.

Things are working fine now with just a single disc, and procuring a replacement for disc 1 should get everything back to normal.

Matthew

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
msilverz
Aspirant

Never mind! I popped out drive 1, restarted the NV+, and it booted up normally. I was then able to access the logs where I discovered that drive 1 had indeed been reporting errors: "Disk 1 did not pass SMART self-assessment test. Please replace this disk as soon as possible. Growing SMART errors indicate a disk that may fail soon. If the errors continue to increase, you should be prepared to replace the disk." I didn't receive any alerts to this effect, which is why I was taken by surprise.

Things are working fine now with just a single disc, and procuring a replacement for disc 1 should get everything back to normal.

Matthew

Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@msilverz wrote:

Great.

I suggest you check the email notification settings.

Message 3 of 7
msilverz
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

Indeed! I suspect that my Gmail password has changed several times since I lasted updated the settings here. I'll have to be better about that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Matthew

Message 4 of 7
msilverz
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

Out of curiosity, do you know if there's a way to test whether the email alerts are working?

Matthew

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

There is a "send test message" control on the screen where you configure them.

Message 6 of 7
msilverz
Aspirant

Excellent. That worked. Thanks!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements