× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS OS6 Email alert configuration for GMail

PredatorVI
Tutor

ReadyNAS OS6 Email alert configuration for GMail

I couldn't find this initially so I thought I'd post here just in case others are interested. 

I use GMail for my personal email and wanted to configure my ReadyNAS Alerts to go through the GMail SMTP (smtp.gmail.com) server.

I had it working many months ago, but it hasn't been sending.  I realized it was because I turned on MFA/2FA authentication.  I disabled 2FA to make sure my settings were still correct but leaving 2FA disabled was not an option.

Google has provided the ability to create unique app passwords that can be used in lieu of your normal password.  Once it is generated save it securely because this bypasses 2FA for devices that don't support it.  

To create the app password:

• Go to https://myaccount.google.com/apppasswordsAppPwd-1.PNG
  • Select app -> "Other (Custom name)" or device -> "Other (Custom name)".  Selecting other options only changes the instructions a bit to be more specific for a given app+device combo (e.g., Youtube + iPad)AppPwd-2.PNG
  • Click GenerateAppPwdTest.PNG

• Copy the value above and keep it handy.
  • Click DONE.  You will then see the app name listed.  It can be deleted and recreated if you think it has been compromised or ideally it should be regenerated on a fairly regular schedule.AppPwd-3.PNG
  • Go to the ReadyNAS Alert Settings and paste the generated password (e.g., amnechkkvsudcbvn ) in the ReadyNAS Alert configuration password field.  Here is an example (use a valid GMail email):AppPwd-4.PNG

You can do this for every device/app or share it across devices.  Hopefully this helps others.

-Jeff

"Keep it secret, keep it safe." - Gandalf the Grey

Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Thx for sharing the steps

Message 2 of 3
Adt57
Aspirant

Thanks, this worked for my 14+ year old ReadyNAS Duo running RAIDiator-Sparc-4.1.16…

… I’d found the new App way Google demands SMTP to be used but I’d not checked the port number.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements