× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Pro Power up delay issues

mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS Pro Power up delay issues

You can mount the array using an ordinary Linux machine, but using a ReadyNAS you wouldn't need to use the command line.

On an ordinary Linux machine if the disks and your array are fine you would just need mdadm and lvm2, to start the RAID, scan for volumes, activate the volume group and mount the data volume.
Message 26 of 29
ultra6ns
Aspirant

Thanks for the tip mdgm.

In addition, I have never had any issues with any drives (what is the purpose of hot-swappable) when the NAS is the hardware that most often crashes. There was a lot posts about this when I bought the Ultra6 which then concerned to previous product line (Duo).

I have even seen motherboard issues with Synology. Therfore I have decided for go FreeNAS as I will have 100% control over both HW and SW.

Pre-built NAS:es is totally over-estimated and people will eventually experience HW issues on their pre-built NAS:es and when there is no warranty on the pre-built NAS, that's the end of it.
Message 27 of 29
Sandshark
Sensei

ultra6ns wrote:
After disassembled the unit on performed the famous paper-clip test on the 24 pin connector (short circuiting green and black) and measured on the voltage pins: both on the 24 pin (connected to the motherboard) and the molex connectors (power-feeding the HD:s), I could not find any issue with the Seasonic PSU SS-300SFD. Hence, fans are working normally,

This leaves me to believe the motherboard is the issue.

Seriously, I did not expect this shitty quality on a high-end NAS.

I will now buy a Synology 1513+ and NEVER look back on NETGEAR. This will be the last post I will make on this Forum.

To NETGEAR, Thank You and Goodbye

Maybe you'll never see this since you say it's your last post. But that's the INFAMOUS paper clip test. Testing an unloaded power supply is highly ineffective. Your problem sounds like a power supply issue to me, probably the CPU power at the 4-pin square Molex connector. It's quite easy to plug in a standard ATX supply and find out if that's the problem. It is just a standard commercial power supply, so some infant mortality is going to happen. I doubt Synology uses any better of a supply. A TRULY high end NAS (including some of the rack-mount ReadyNASes) have redundant power supplies just because of this. It seems to me you ignored a problem while in warranty and now blame Netgear because you waited too long and it got worse.

You don't mention where you are, but you might be able to find somebody to help you recover your data in exchange for the "carcass".
Message 28 of 29
ultra6ns
Aspirant

The problem w my Ultra 6 is solved since a year ago.

I did not bother to put a post in here, but I feel bad for the people that might be expierencing the same problems with their own old Neatgear NAS:es.

After I received my Synology 415+ (+12m ago), which by the way is a really kick-ass NAS, I decided to get to the buttom of my Ultra 6 NAS problem.

My intention was never to fix, but rather tear it apart to figure out the root-cause to the problem that I have described in this thread.

The problem was not related

-Faulty molex

-Faulty psu

-OS firmware

-Burned components (e.g. capacitors on the mother etc)

The problem was the motherboard battery (CR25). When replacing this battery, the OS was managed to read the saved settings in the BIOS properly and started up perfectly. Problem solved !!!

A simple solution, to what I think is a simple problem. As I stated in my ealier, I did a lot of power on and power off with my unit, and I never kept it running over long durations. As my unit was not frequently on, I guess it sucked the battery dry after some years.

Hence, the crapgear Support Office should have understood this when I talked to them.... Wankers ........

Anyway, I am super happy with my Synology and I will never go back to crapgear.

Best Regards from Ultra6ns (on the other side) 

Message 29 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements