× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS RN104 power died - moving data?

declanmcd
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RN104 power died - moving data?

Hi, my Netgear ReadyNAS RN104 died yesterday. Either the power supplied failed or the power consumption failed (the lcd keeps flashing until the led on the power supply goes out). Anyway I want to move the 4 drives which are in a RAID5 to another NAS. What is the best way to do this assuming the drives and data are all ok. Can I just buy a different model and expect it to work?

Can the data be recovered somehow?

Thanks

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS RN104 power died - moving data?

@declanmcd wrote:

my Netgear ReadyNAS RN104 died yesterday. Either the power supplied failed or the power consumption failed (the lcd keeps flashing until the led on the power supply goes out).

You might start with a risk-buy of a replacement adapter.  You can find them for about $25 USD on Amazon. 

@declanmcd wrote:

Anyway I want to move the 4 drives which are in a RAID5 to another NAS. What is the best way to do this assuming the drives and data are all ok. Can I just buy a different model and expect it to work?

You can directly migrate to any ReadyNAS OS-6 system with enough bays (RN10x, RN2xx, RN30x, RN42x, RN5xx, RN62x).  Some older 4.2 ReadyNAS can be converted to OS-6, and once that is done you can directly migrate to those models also.  Those include the Ultra 4/6 and Pro 4/6 models.

@declanmcd wrote:

If you are comfortable with linux commands, the volume can be manually mounted on a linux PC.  If not, you can purchase RAID recovery software that supports BTRFS.  ReclaiMe has been used by quite a few people here with some success.  Either way, you need a way to connect the disks to the PC.  That can be done with USB adapter/docks (including two bay and 4 bay enclosures).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@declanmcd wrote:

my Netgear ReadyNAS RN104 died yesterday. Either the power supplied failed or the power consumption failed (the lcd keeps flashing until the led on the power supply goes out).

You might start with a risk-buy of a replacement adapter.  You can find them for about $25 USD on Amazon. 

@declanmcd wrote:

Anyway I want to move the 4 drives which are in a RAID5 to another NAS. What is the best way to do this assuming the drives and data are all ok. Can I just buy a different model and expect it to work?

You can directly migrate to any ReadyNAS OS-6 system with enough bays (RN10x, RN2xx, RN30x, RN42x, RN5xx, RN62x).  Some older 4.2 ReadyNAS can be converted to OS-6, and once that is done you can directly migrate to those models also.  Those include the Ultra 4/6 and Pro 4/6 models.

@declanmcd wrote:

If you are comfortable with linux commands, the volume can be manually mounted on a linux PC.  If not, you can purchase RAID recovery software that supports BTRFS.  ReclaiMe has been used by quite a few people here with some success.  Either way, you need a way to connect the disks to the PC.  That can be done with USB adapter/docks (including two bay and 4 bay enclosures).

Message 2 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Do be careful, as not all manufacturers use the same pin-out.  Finding one listed as compatible with a ReadyNAS may be difficult, but the Synology 4-bay 41x and 91x series use the same pin-out.

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Finding one listed as compatible with a ReadyNAS may be difficult

I see quite a few on Amazon that claim to be compatible.

Message 4 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

There are more than when I was last looking for a 4-pin one.  Beware any supplier that hides the current rating -- there is a reason they are doing so.

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

There are more than when I was last looking for a 4-pin one.  Beware any supplier that hides the current rating -- there is a reason they are doing so.

Unfortunately almost all of them do hide it.

Message 6 of 8
declanmcd
Aspirant

@StephenB You are an absolute genius! I tried your first suggestion and got a cheap (€30) power supply off Amazon taking care to get one that explicitly mentions the model number....and it worked. Thanks again, you saved me a huge headache.

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@declanmcd wrote:

Thanks again, you saved me a huge headache.

I'm glad I could help.

If you have no backup plan in place for your NAS, a good next step would be to add one.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements