× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 fan fail: replace fan or transfer disks?

dkmj
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 fan fail: replace fan or transfer disks?

All,

fan failed and Ultra6 shut down from overheating (I was not at home at the time). Unit boots fine and disks are probably ok (?), but fan is dead and I am afraid, very afraid.

are there replacement fans to be found, and if so, is repair possible at home with reasonable success rate?

Other direction would be to buy a new box and transfer disks. 6 times 4TB in a raid 5 config. What currenty sold models would accept my current disks 'as is'?

If i boot the NAS (i can do this) and blow large amoounts of coldish air through, might be able to transfer files out of the raid stack? is that an advisable strategy or will I just kill the disks from overheating in the process?

thanks,

Peter

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 6 fan fail: replace fan or transfer disks?

@dkmj wrote:

I want a 4 disk unit this time, robust for a small household and fast enough USB ports for making snapshots/backups at a regular basis. What would be your suggestions? What, from Netgear is similar to the Synology DS420+ ? id rather stay in the family.

Suitable ReadyNAS models would be the RN214 (arm based) and the RN424 (x86).  Neither has the m2 cache feature in the Synology.

But all ReadyNAS models have been in short supply for a couple of years now.  There are rumors that Netgear is exiting the NAS business - although Netgear hasn't said, this is certainly plausible.  No new hardware platforms introduced in about 5 years, no desktop NAS listed on the main website, and little-to-no retailer stock all point in that direction.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@dkmj wrote:

are there replacement fans to be found, and if so, is repair possible at home with reasonable success rate?

Yes.  I replaced my Pro-6 fan with one from Noctua some years ago now.  I went with a Noctua NF-S12A FLX ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BEZKX8Y ).  I believe that will also fit the Ultra 6.

Message 2 of 7
dkmj
Aspirant

thanks for the tip. disassembled and replaced fan. unit running now for 2h, seems it shut down in time for disks not to suffer damage. 

will look into new NAS HW though, scary incident. Ultra6 is old and slow.

Message 3 of 7
mdgm
Virtuoso

The unit would be several years out of warranty by now.

What you may want to do is repurpose the Ultra 6 to backup the new NAS HW you get (no important data should be stored on just the one device). You could find that the Ultra 6 continues to work for years to come.

Message 4 of 7
dkmj
Aspirant

Thanks,

Good suggestion and my intended route forward. Currently the Ultra6 is backed up (selectively) to a NV+ unit, even older in the tooth. With a new fan installed, the Ultra6 works again (no rumbling noises from the fan that were since forever, thought they were part of how it should sound...), I'm investigating what unit will be my next. I want a 4 disk unit this time, robust for a small household and fast enough USB ports for making snapshots/backups at a regular basis. What would be your suggestions? What, from Netgear is similar to the Synology DS420+ ? id rather stay in the family.

Network is only Gigabit speed, and we share video and music over the network, plus store personal files, and make timemachine backups from a mostly Mac household. $500 range, at least below $900

cheers,

Peter 

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@dkmj wrote:

I want a 4 disk unit this time, robust for a small household and fast enough USB ports for making snapshots/backups at a regular basis. What would be your suggestions? What, from Netgear is similar to the Synology DS420+ ? id rather stay in the family.

Suitable ReadyNAS models would be the RN214 (arm based) and the RN424 (x86).  Neither has the m2 cache feature in the Synology.

But all ReadyNAS models have been in short supply for a couple of years now.  There are rumors that Netgear is exiting the NAS business - although Netgear hasn't said, this is certainly plausible.  No new hardware platforms introduced in about 5 years, no desktop NAS listed on the main website, and little-to-no retailer stock all point in that direction.

Message 6 of 7
ArchPrime
Guide

Just confirming that as of writing (17 Jan 2024), the Noctua NF-S12A FLX ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BEZKX8Y ).  is still available from that same link, and that it does fit the Ultra 6, with no difficulties encountered so far.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements