× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 - stuck on syncing

rashoo
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 - stuck on syncing

Hi,

It seems that RAID scrubbing unveiled a disk error. But now my ReadyNAS seems to be stuck at 29% on syncing. The system is configured as a single volume, 6 x 1TB WD1003FBYX drives,  X-RAID2 w/ 2 parity drives.

The system is running 4.2.31. I was planning on pulling / replacing the drives and upgradign to OS 6.

Since I have dual redundancy, I was assuming i could go ahead and pull the failed drive. But right now the UI is unresponsive. What should I do?

Here is the appropriate log entry:

Sat Nov 17 02:12:32 PST 2018    If the failed disk is used in a RAID level 1, 5, or X-RAID volume, please note that volume is now unprotected, and an additional disk failure may render that volume dead. If this disk is a part of a RAID 6 volume, your volume is still protected if this is your first failure. A 2nd disk failure will make your volume unprotected. If this disk is a part of a RAID 10 volume, a failure of this disk's mirror partner will render the volume dead. It is recommended that you replace the failed disk as soon as possible to maintain optimal protection of your volume.
    Sat Nov 17 02:10:00 PST 2018    Disk failure detected.
    Sat Nov 17 00:00:25 PST 2018    RAID scrubbing started on volume C.

Thanks in advance.

John

Model: ReadyNAS RNDU6000|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 6 - stuck on syncing

Do you know what drive has failed?

Conversion to OS-6 is destructive, so you will need to restore your files from a backup anyway.  If you already have that backup, you could just proceed with the OS-6 conversion.  You can do that with one drive, and then do a factory install when the new drives arrive.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Do you know what drive has failed?

Conversion to OS-6 is destructive, so you will need to restore your files from a backup anyway.  If you already have that backup, you could just proceed with the OS-6 conversion.  You can do that with one drive, and then do a factory install when the new drives arrive.

Message 2 of 3
rashoo
Aspirant

Thanks for the response.

Yes, it is drive #3 that has failed. I had to do a hard reboot a couple of times to get the UI back. I as then able to access it over AFS and via the UI. It is still doing the resync - 30% sfter 2 days - but i can at least access the files. I do have an older backup but since it is available, i'm taking another one right now that is almost complete.

When the backup is complete, i'll do an upgrade to OS6 with a single drive and will then replace all the drives with larger capacity drives.

Thanks again for your help.

John

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements