× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra6 stuck with ReadyNAS Logo - TTL Port does show strange data only

augur
Guide

ReadyNAS Ultra6 stuck with ReadyNAS Logo - TTL Port does show strange data only

Hi,

I have a broken ReadyNAS Ultra6 that I try to revive. I have still checked memory (tested in another PC), CMOS battery (measured with 3,15V) and PSU (exchanged). As all does not solved to get into the boot menu I tried to use an USB-TTL converter with 3,3V but can see hieroglyphs only. A VGA adapter is on the way but need some weeks, so I have the following questions:

• Read that some ReadyNAS as RS232 out instead TTL. Has the Ultra6 TTL as the voltages on the ports I can see with an multimeter are 8v between the top and the second one?
  • Use the last pin counting from top as ground and the second/third as TX/RX.
  • Are there additional ideas that could cause this?

Not checked...broken internal drive as TTL is not working and VGA adapter is missing.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra6 stuck with ReadyNAS Logo - TTL Port does show strange data only

I believe the Ultra6 does have TTL output on the serial port, but TTL is 5V, not 3.3.  You may be confusing "TTY" (the protocol, short for TeleTYpe) with "TTL" (a logic voltage level, short for Transistor-Transistor Logic).  You should find one of the pins has the voltage on it, so a meter will let you know.  The voltage, pin-out, and baud rates for the ReadyNAS serial ports are inconsistent between models until you get to the ones with the micro-USB type connection.  At one time, there was a partial list of them either in this forum or pointed to here, but I've been unable to locate it for some time.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
augur
Guide

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra6 stuck with ReadyNAS Logo - TTL Port does show strange data only

Jipie, I had to restore it with an Radiator 4.2 firmware which worked...but to know it the TTL question would be nice if answered.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

I believe the Ultra6 does have TTL output on the serial port, but TTL is 5V, not 3.3.  You may be confusing "TTY" (the protocol, short for TeleTYpe) with "TTL" (a logic voltage level, short for Transistor-Transistor Logic).  You should find one of the pins has the voltage on it, so a meter will let you know.  The voltage, pin-out, and baud rates for the ReadyNAS serial ports are inconsistent between models until you get to the ones with the micro-USB type connection.  At one time, there was a partial list of them either in this forum or pointed to here, but I've been unable to locate it for some time.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements