× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS-X6

sjschmidtky1
Guide

ReadyNAS-X6

My ReadyNAS-X6 (actually 2 of them) is alive and kicking still.  However, need to replace a harddrive.  The hardward capatibility list doesn't include the X6 any longer.  Anybody know what it would be or which of the other Legacy ReadyNAS devices I could use to determine compatibilty still with the X6?

Thanks!

Model: ReadyNAS-X6|ReadyNAS X6
Message 1 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNAS-X6

None of the legacy device drive lists are up to date.  You are best off sticking with a NAS-purposed or better drive.  But the WD red line was "updated" such that the smaller drives are now SMR, which is not a good choice for RAID.  So, you are best off with the WD Red Plus or Red Pro or the Seagate Ironwolf or Ironwolf Pro.  For "or better", that would be enterprise drives, which are really overkill for a small NAS.

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS-X6

@Sandshark wrote:

So, you are best off with the WD Red Plus or Red Pro or the Seagate Ironwolf or Ironwolf Pro.  For "or better", that would be enterprise drives, which are really overkill for a small NAS.

I think the WD20EFRX (WD Red Plus) and the ST2000VN004 (Seagate Ironwolf) are the best choices for the sparc-based NAS.  They aren't fast enough to benefit from the more expensive enterprise-class drives.

Current firmware is 4.1.16, so perhaps also check what you are running.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements