× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas Duo v1 keeps locking up (inaccessible)

VelocityKendal
Aspirant

ReadyNas Duo v1 keeps locking up (inaccessible)

Hello everyone,

My ReadyNas Duo has been running faultlessly for years then suddenly I noticed is was offline in my LAN and I couldn't access Frontview in a browser. The device seemed to have frozen and it wouldn't shut down normally using the power button, I had to pull the cable. When restarting it the fans whirred noisily as usual but it didn't boot up properly and become usable again, Frontview was still inaccessible. the only way I could regain access to Frontview was rebooting with the reset button at the rear depressed and even then the NAS fell over again at some point during the day, I just can't get it stable. here's the system:

Model:ReadyNAS Duo [X-RAID]
Serial:24M4137000BAA
Firmware:RAIDiator 4.1.14 [1.00a043] 
Memory:256 MB [2.5-3-3-7]
IPv4 address::192.168.0.11
Volume C:Online, X-RAID, 2 disks, 50% of 1846 GB used

After doing some searching here I've enabled SSH and done a 'df -h'

Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hdc1             1.9G  772M  1.1G  39% /
tmpfs                  16k     0   16k   0% /USB
/dev/c/c              1.8T  927G  919G  51% /c

It's at this point I'm a bit stumped with what to do next. I've used a bash terminal a bit before in the past but I don't really know how to go about troubleshooting this.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Your OS partition looks ok.

Have you gotten the data off the NAS?

Message 2 of 8
VelocityKendal
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

Your OS partition looks ok.

Have you gotten the data off the NAS?

No not yet, I don't currently have any means to move the data anywhere. For the relatively brief periods of time I can get it up and running I can browse the shares on the network as normal. i was kind of hoping to address the cause of it falling over without having to move the data off the disks.

Message 3 of 8
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello VelocityKendal,

Welcome to the community!

It is best you back up the data asap. Then download logs from the FrontView once you get access to it again.

Regards,

Message 4 of 8
StephenB
Guru

If you are using the default xraid, Linux Reader ( http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/ ) can read the files on the data drive (which is usually drive 1).  It runs on a windows PC, and you need to connect the drive using SATA or a USB adapter of some sort.

I agree with JennC that you should extract the data off first.  

Message 5 of 8
VelocityKendal
Aspirant

Well I tried to download the logs and in doing so it seems to have crashed Frontview, I can't connect to the page at all any more. I still have SSH access however, is there a way I can download the logs via that?

Message 6 of 8
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello VelocityKendal,

It seems you may really need to contact support so they can check on this and have a higher level check on your NAS remotely.

However, since your NAS is a legacy unit that must no longer have support warranty, you can avail their per incident support.

Regards,

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

I'd get the data off the NAS with linux reader.

Then test the disks with vendor tools (e.g., seatools for seagate, lifeguard for western digital).  If they look good, then do a factory default.  

You can get a new RN102 for about $120 street price, and it is considerably faster than the duo.  So if you have the data backed up, it probably isn't worth spending much money or time trying to fix the duo.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements