× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas Pro 6 - No IP address

koolfrank87
Apprentice

ReadyNas Pro 6 - No IP address

I have a ReadyNAS Pro 6 running the firmware 6.4.2.  It has been acting a bit strange as it would randomly lose its network connection and have to be rebooted.  After reboot all is well.  Until now...

Now when it will boot up but says 'No IP Address'

How do I proceed?

Message 1 of 19
Sandshark
Sensei

The best first step is probably to plug in the other LAN connection, preferably with a different cable and into a different router/switch port.  There are a few possibilities that might be causing the issue that this could fix:  The NAS or router/switch port went bad, cable went bad, or IP address conflict (usually due to an issue with using a static IP address).

Message 2 of 19
koolfrank87
Apprentice

Thank you for the reply.  I should have included my troubleshooting steps in the original post. 

The network jack/cable is a known working connection.  Hard wiring my laptop into the same cable works fine, so cable and connection are good.  I have tried using this good connection on both ports of the NAS.  The bottom most port DOES give me link light but and some flickering indicating its talking but still no IP Address. 

Not sure how to gain access to the NAS.  Can I plug a lan cable directly in to the NAS from my laptop?  What static address range do I use?  Maybe there is another way?  Im open to ideas.

Message 3 of 19
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello koolfrank87,

Connecting NAS straight to the computer will also work even with no DHCP. NAS uses its default IP address 192.168.168.168 when you do this, unless you have a static IP address set to the network settings of the NAS. You may use RAIDar on the computer to let it detect the NAS and it will show the NAS' current IP address. Once you have it's IP address, you will know which IP subnet you can set to the computer.

Regards,

Message 4 of 19
koolfrank87
Apprentice

I will give this a try when I get home.

Once I am connected how can I refresh the NIC?  so that it will work correctly

Message 5 of 19
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello koolfrank87,

If you mean by getting the NIC set as DHCP in case it is on static/manual IP, fastest way is to do OS reinstall. This will put NAS' network settings from static/manual IP to DHCP and revert the admin password to default.

You might want to also check if you are getting the same problem if you other another LAN port on the NAS.

Regards,

Message 6 of 19
koolfrank87
Apprentice

I tried direct connecting the NAS to my laptop but was unable to use Raidar to connect.  

Will doing this OS reinstall format the drives?  I have TB's of data and dont want to loose it.

Message 7 of 19
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi koolfrank87,

Can you confirm if both LAN LEDs of your computer and the ReadyNAS lit up while its connected through LAN? Doing OS Reinstall won't do any harm to your data. Just follow the procedure or the steps from this page.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 19
koolfrank87
Apprentice

I did not get link lights so I opted for the OS reinstall.  First round through the Boot Menu/OS Reinstall it would hang at  "Booting....." for over an hour.  So i restart it and tried again.  Now I see it in RAIDar, Healthy with IP.  I cannot connect to the Admin page.  

Should I let this sit overnight?  Maybe i has to settle down?

Message 9 of 19
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi koolfrank87,

What's the status on the LCD screen (front panel) or the status of the device in the RAIDar utility?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 19
koolfrank87
Apprentice

Raidar says everything is healthy.  I have a valid IP and I can even browse to the UNC path.

When I click the 'Admin Page' button is brings up:

This site can’t be reached

192.168.1.43 refused to connect.

Front panel says:

GeekNAS_Backup

17% Free

Message 11 of 19
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi koolfrank87,

Do you mean you can browse the data or files from your ReadyNAS? Have you tried giving another web browser/s a try or perhaps another PC?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 19
StephenB
Guru

If you don't have a backup, then it would be good to make one (even if you don't have enough disk space, you can still begin by copying the most critical data).

Do you have ssh enabled?

Message 13 of 19
koolfrank87
Apprentice

BrianL:  Yes, I can get to the shares by typing \\192.168.1.43 - Replicate jobs are even completing successfullly.  Everything seems to work perfectly fine except for the admin page/web portion.

StephanB:  This is my backup NAS.  I have all the original data on a ReadyNAS 316.  I dont want to formatt everything and start over but will if that is my only option.  

I am not sure if i have SSH enabled.  I may have played with it on my main 316 but this Pro 6 was just used for replicating off site.

Message 14 of 19
StephenB
Guru

Perhaps try ssh, and see how full the os partition is.

cd //

df . -h

df . -i

If ssh isn't enabled, then one thing to try is to delete all logs (don't download them) - both system and backup.  If the web ui then functions, the issue is a filling OS partition.  At that point you can enable ssh, and double-check the space.

Runaway logs aren't that common on a backup NAS, but I think leaf (used by replicate) can sometimes create large logs.

Message 15 of 19
koolfrank87
Apprentice

Now its just sitting at the 'Booting...' screen.

Would it be easier to just reload it?  This NAS is just a backup to my main NAS.  

Message 16 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@koolfrank87 wrote:

Would it be easier to just reload it?  This NAS is just a backup to my main NAS.  

If it is a straight backup, then a factory reset might be the easiest path.

Message 17 of 19
koolfrank87
Apprentice

Sounds like a plan.  Any idea what may have caused the originial issue?

Message 18 of 19
StephenB
Guru

I was thinking a full OS partition on the NAS, but that is just a theory.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements