× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2

Mixster
Aspirant

Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2

Hi, was wondering if anyone is able to help with the above subject? Have a Netgear RN312 NAS that was working perfectly until a few days ago. Now I get the above message. Sorry, I do not have backups of the NAS and would like to keep data. Are there any thoughts on how to fix or access the data. Current running 6.10.8 OS set up as RAID 0. Its basically saying my drives are full but it was only around 60% a few weeks ago, not sure what has filled it? Happy to share log files etc.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2

@Mixster wrote:

I can try the connection to my PC and see if I can access that way. 

Windows doesn't support the disk formats used by the NAS, so you will need to use the RAID recovery software to get data. That will let you off-load the files to another disk.

@Mixster wrote:

There are a few messages like below that starts at 81% and stops at 94% as a daily occurrence in status.log. Not sure what is happening here?

This may be the cause of full drives.

[22/11/19 08:00:04 ACDT] err:volume:LOGMSG_SYSTEM_USAGE_WARN System volume root's usage is 81%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Contact technical support.

[22/12/20 17:43:35 ACDT] crit:volume:LOGMSG_SYSTEM_USAGE_WARN System volume root's usage is 93%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Contact technical support.

This is talking about the OS partition (system volume root) - not about your data volume.  A full OS partition can trigger a lot of different issues, and possibly is that caused your issue.  But it also might be a side-effect of the real problem.

What apps are you running (if any)?  Some apps do use the OS partition (though they shouldn't).

Are you seeing any I/O errors or BTRFS in system.log and kernel.log?  What disk health are you seeing in disk_info.log?

@Mixster wrote:

Do you think it is possible to access via PC, delete some stuff and then return drives to NAS to continue using?

No.  But you could offload everything the RAID recovery software finds.  Then do a factory default on the NAS with the disks in place.  That would format the disks, so you'd need to set up the NAS again and restore your data.  

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Mixster wrote:

Current running 6.10.8 OS set up as RAID 0. 

Then a failure of either drive will result in loss of all your data.  Definitely not a mode I recommend for someone who isn't making backups.

@Mixster wrote:

Its basically saying my drives are full 

I wouldn't draw that conclusion - the volume can't be mounted, so the NAS really doesn't know how full it is.

I'd look into the logs for disk errors or btrfs errors, and see if you can reconstruct what happened.  System.log, kernel.log, system-journal.log are all places to look.

You could also connect the disks to a Windows PC (using either SATA or a USB adapter/dock), and use RAID recovery software.  You'd need software that supports the BTRFS file system. ReclaiMe is one package that several here have used with success.

Message 2 of 4
Mixster
Aspirant

Hi, thx for the quick response @StephenB 

I have had a look at the logs but not 100% sure what I am looking for. There are a few errors but nothing that makes sense to me.

There are a few messages like below that starts at 81% and stops at 94% as a daily occurrence in status.log. Not sure what is happening here?

[22/11/19 08:00:04 ACDT] err:volume:LOGMSG_SYSTEM_USAGE_WARN System volume root's usage is 81%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Contact technical support.

[22/12/20 17:43:35 ACDT] crit:volume:LOGMSG_SYSTEM_USAGE_WARN System volume root's usage is 93%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Contact technical support.

Do you think it is possible to access via PC, delete some stuff and then return drives to NAS to continue using?

Thanks for any advise.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Mixster wrote:

Windows doesn't support the disk formats used by the NAS, so you will need to use the RAID recovery software to get data. That will let you off-load the files to another disk.

@Mixster wrote:

This is talking about the OS partition (system volume root) - not about your data volume.  A full OS partition can trigger a lot of different issues, and possibly is that caused your issue.  But it also might be a side-effect of the real problem.

What apps are you running (if any)?  Some apps do use the OS partition (though they shouldn't).

Are you seeing any I/O errors or BTRFS in system.log and kernel.log?  What disk health are you seeing in disk_info.log?

@Mixster wrote:

No.  But you could offload everything the RAID recovery software finds.  Then do a factory default on the NAS with the disks in place.  That would format the disks, so you'd need to set up the NAS again and restore your data.  

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements