× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SMB/CIFS ISSSUES, directory listings slow/hangs ReadyNAS OS 6.4.2, RN314 4 x 4TB (Seagate)

dionuk
Star

SMB/CIFS ISSSUES, directory listings slow/hangs ReadyNAS OS 6.4.2, RN314 4 x 4TB (Seagate)

Hi Guys, I am new to this forum as a poster, but have been on here before looking for help on issues.

I have a RN314 4x4TB thats just over 2 years old. ReadyNAS OS 6.4.2, 4GB RAM (upgraded the ram from 2 - 4GB more than a year ago and absolutely no issues with it)

Works perfectly but for SMB/Cifs issues. 

SMB / Cifs hangs when loading the directory with files in it, and times out, Directory listings of directories where there is no files in seems fine.

Sevices activated and running:

SMB/Cifs = serious issues = 2 Win 10 Clients, 1 OS X, 2 x "FileBrowser" app on iOS

PlexMedia Server = works perfectly, with 1 Roku client, 2 iOS, 1 Mac, 1 PC Win 7, 1 PC Win 10,  connected at variable alternate times.

Itunes Music Server = Works perfectly with 3 different PC's connected to it at alternate times.

AFP = Time Machine Backup Server (Dedicated private) = Works perfectly 3 x OS X clients with seperate usernames and seperate quota's 

SSH active and also slow (had to activate it and check what is going on after my warranty ran out) To try and see what is wrong here.

ReadyCLOUD & ReadyNAS Remote, works = SAME issue, can connect to the NAS from outside, but when doing directory listings times out as well.

Https & HTTP access on LAN and WAN Access through ReadyCLOUD, and ADMIN Through the Netgear VPN service WORKS.

4 Users = 1 admin (me), (2 Time machine only), (1 Time machine, and view of 1 share folder only). 

My HOME LAN

Virgin Super Hub Fibre,

All CAT 6 Gigabit Ethernet connection, Netgear Gigabit 8 port ehternet switch, except for iOS devices which is wireless. 

4 x MAC OS X, (1 Connected to SMB as admin), (3 x Connected to Time machine of which 2 no SMB access, and 1 VIEW ONLY, one folder only)

2 x Win 10, (2 Connected to SMB as admin)

1 x Debian Server connected to (1 SMB share as admin)

2 x iOS devices connected to (SMB with app "filebrowser" as admin)

I hope I don't have too much info here, but basically I noticed SMB issues for a very long time with my iMAC, and very occasionally with my windows 10 machine, the filebrowser app on iOS were lightning fast and never had any issues with connecting or file browsing. I believed the issue with my iMAC was OS X related and it annoyed me so much, I could not get any work done ever, which made me make my iMac run Windows 10 in dual boot Bootcamp just because I could not be asked waiting for server to connect and directory listings whirling away even in the same finder window when clicking back or to open a folder, utterly utterly painful. 
Recently, Windows 10 was doing the exact same thing, windows explorer would time out, and crash explorer, with certain folders taking ages to load and then times out. 

The filebrowser app on iOS was doing the same thing, Directory listings with folders only would work, but the minute you open a folder with files in it, it whirls for ages and times out as well. 
All this made me believe its a ReadyNAS issue, as I don't have the same issues with my (Debian server Dell Poweredge) that I have on the network. 

I enebled SSH access to the NAS, and checked my files and file permissions, I am the owner of all files and group owner is admin, I am in the admin group, all as expected. and all permissions on all files and folders are (rwxrwxr-x)

I need help with this, I hope there is someone else that can help out, or that has the same problem, afterall this is what this box is supposed to be, a Network Attached Storage, and at the moment I struggle with accessing files over the LAN.

Thanks, 

Dion

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless),RN31443D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (4x 3TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: SMB/CIFS ISSSUES, directory listings slow/hangs ReadyNAS OS 6.4.2, RN314 4 x 4TB (Seagate)

Root volume usage was quite high and quite a bit running including the anti-virus service (for which there is a known performance issue at the moment).

MySQL database(s) were taking up a lot of space on the root volume.

Looks like all is good now.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: SMB/CIFS ISSSUES, directory listings slow/hangs ReadyNAS OS 6.4.2, RN314 4 x 4TB (Seagate)

I have private messaged you a suggestion which should help with directory listing performance from an OS X client.

Can you also send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 2 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Root volume usage was quite high and quite a bit running including the anti-virus service (for which there is a known performance issue at the moment).

MySQL database(s) were taking up a lot of space on the root volume.

Looks like all is good now.

Message 3 of 6
dionuk
Star

thank you, I normally run MySQL in a VM on another server, and never knew it got installed with phpsysinfo and linux dash on the NAS, I did not want MySQL on it to begin with, as it can crash a system, hence me running MySQL on a seperate VM server. 

Message 4 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well I'm not 100% sure that those apps got it on there, but those apps depend on PHP and you had PHP on there with MySQL support, so the way to remove MySQL was to remove both of those apps, PHP and of course MySQL.

Message 5 of 6
dionuk
Star

I understand what you are saying, I removed php and most of MySQL what I could find or know how to get rid of.

These are the only apps I have ever installed on the NAS and that was through the ReadyNAS Available apps page,
Plex, LogAnalyzer, phpsysinfo, Linux Dash, SMB plus, Anti-Virus Plus, VirtualHere USB Server and SoftEther VPN.  

The Softether VPN I uninstalled a long time ago because I have a dynamic ip and my Iphone did not want to stay connected to the vpn all the time, so no point connecting to the vpn everytime I use my iphone, as iphones disconnect from it evertime the screen locks.
LogAnalyzer I think is the culprit because I started to get those messages of 85% full etc when I had Loganalyzer installed. I uninstalled it and removed all those log files and the messages stopped.
VirtualHere USB Server never worked, or I could not get it to work so I uninstalled a few days later. 

All the other apps I work with and used on a daily basis. But you can look at the list. I have never installed any software through ssh, other than the software available on the Readynas available apps page this is the 2nd or 3rd time I have ever ssh'ed into the NAS. How all those files of MySQL  and PHP got into the root OS partition I don't know. Your guess is as good as mine. The only other issue I ever had was that Plex once did not want to upgrade to a new version which made me uninstall it and reinstall it as there were something wrong with the fact that I uploaded the nevest version through the app page, but something went wrong I had to uninstall it, reinstall the one on the app page and then upgrade from there with the later version, and since then it had worked everytime, I just upgraded plex yesterday again. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements