× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

[SOLVED] Share USB by port

BennTech
Aspirant

I have a ReadyNAS NVX and a few NV+. We rotate USB drives for offsite backup, and I need a way to CIFS share these USB drives so they all have the same share name instead of USB_HDD_1, USB_HDD_2, etc. E.g., something similar to ReadyNAS' builtin backup by USB port, but with a share name.

I've tried a couple of tricks, like:
  • Soft link to USB_HDD_1 in an already shared folder, but I get accessed denied when I try to open it.

• "net share add USBFront=/USB/USB_HDD_1/" but I get "NetShareAdd failed with: Access is denied"

Ideally, I'd like to share by port name (e.g., USBFront), which I could maybe accomplish by using the appropriate /dev/sd__? Regardless, I need to be able to manually create a CIFS share. Should be simple, but I haven''t been able to accomplish that.
Message 1 of 2
BennTech
Aspirant

I've found a hack for this that does exactly what I want:

1. Unplug all your USB drives (optional).

2. Edit /etc/frontview/usb/storage.conf

3. Change the share names of the drives you want to rotate to the same. Share names begin with USB_ and are enclosed in double exclamation marks, like !!USB_HDD_1!!.

4. Note that if you have multiple drives with the same name plugged in at once, the last one plugged in gets the share. Unplugging any of them breaks the share. None of that is an issue for me because the old drive is always unplugged before the new one is attached.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements