× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setting up DDclient

Xplore
Aspirant

Setting up DDclient

Hi all,

I would like to setup DDclient to update my dns

So I got an account at http://freedns.afraid.org/

I understand that I have to edit ddclient.conf
But I have no clue what to put in there.

About the editing: I would like to do this using notepad++ and the NppFTP plugin after enabling SSH on the NAS

Could someone point me in the right direction about what to put in ddclient.conf ?

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
Xplore
Aspirant

Ah man,

Do I fail to get the concept of these apps for my NAS ?
When I click available/installed apps on my admin page I see DDclient V1.0.0 installed

When I go to rnxtras it seems V 3.8.2 is available for $3.29 ??

What is this ? Why does V1.0.0 show up in "available apps" to install, is it outdated ?

Sorry but is is a bit confusing...

Message 2 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You are looking at an add-on for a different model NAS with a different CPU architecture running a different firmware.

R4Sparc is referring to RAIDiator 4.1.x on the Duo (v1) and NV+ (v1). Add-ons for legacy ReadyNAS devices are not compatible with OS6.

Your NAS is running OS6.
Message 3 of 6
Xplore
Aspirant

OK, thanks.

So DDclient V1.0.0 should work on my RN102 ?

The question remains how I should edit this file to have DDclient update my IP at freedns.

Thanks
Message 4 of 6
algiam
Aspirant

I have it this way and it works perfectly. Use a No-IP domain.

protocol=noip

use=web, web=checkip.dyndns.com, web-skip='IP Address'
server=dynupdate.no-ip.com
login=xxxxxxxx@gmail.com
password='xxxxxxxx'
xxxxxxxxx <----- domain name
Message 5 of 6
Rockman
Aspirant

Let's get really basic here first with my NS Pro
1. When the download unzips, a lot looks like Linux which used very occasionally about 15yrs ago.
2. Any idea on what the "Image" file might be that has to be used in "Add-ons/Add New"; maybe just the file labelled "ddclient" since that appears to be a script of some sort.
3. Several posts here and elsewhere have talked of editing the configuration file which is where things get a little fuzzy. The main thing is where is it at? Windows Explorer only shows my shares and their files. There are configuration files with the download but they aren't on my NS Pro.

Sorry for the simple questions but in the last 20yrs or so, I've gotten to be a PnP old man in retirtement.

Thanks for the help
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements