× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setting up NIC Bonding through a non managed switch

UpTooL8
Aspirant

Setting up NIC Bonding through a non managed switch

I want to use the NIC Bonding feature on my ReadyNAS 104 but im not sure if I can.  I am reading that I may need to set up a Teaming option/config on a connected switch/router but I do not have a managed switch.  But in this article, http://kb.netgear.com/ci/fattach/get/82/1261408476/redirect/1/filename/Interface%20Teaming.pdf , is says that some of the teaming modes don't require any switch side configuration.  Am I to understand that an unmanaged switch is ok in those scenarios?  The switch is a Netgear FS108.

If i can use one of these options with this switch which would be the best option?  I have been experiencing some connectivity issues lately with my NAS and I would like to have a failsafe but at the same time i would like to employ load balancing as I run nightly backups to the NAS from a number of PC's on the network.

Using ReadyNAS firmware version 6.4.1

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Cat 5e cable was designed for internet.  Normal cat 5 has fewer twists per inch - I think that will work, but might not travel so far.

I'd stick with fast ethernet on the cat 3 segments.  No harm in trying I guess, but my guess you will get a lot of packet loss.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

First of all, what you really should do is replace the FS108 with a gigabit switch (upgrading cables as needed to cat5e or cat6).  That will give you a much bigger speed improvement than bonding.  

Switching to gigabit gives you about 4x faster speeds with the RN104.  NIC bonding gives you at most 2x (and gives you nothing at all unless you have multiple users). Unmanaged 8 port gigabit switches can be found for about $25 USD. Definitely worth it. 

On teaming, you should use Adaptive Load Balancing.  That's the best general-purpose mode that works with an unmanaged switch.

Message 2 of 4
UpTooL8
Aspirant

StephenB, Thanks for replying.  I am getting new switches for that reason. Adaptive Load Balancing was the mode I was interested in using so thanks for the confirmation.  One question there is with the stock config of the NAS, do I have and performance issues I should be concerned with or will it be ok?  Also, I have old wiring in the bldg I'm in which uses Cat 5 and in some areas, Cat 3.  How much will that affect data transfer?

Thanks in advance. 

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Cat 5e cable was designed for internet.  Normal cat 5 has fewer twists per inch - I think that will work, but might not travel so far.

I'd stick with fast ethernet on the cat 3 segments.  No harm in trying I guess, but my guess you will get a lot of packet loss.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements