× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Share issue

psxman_uk1
Aspirant

Share issue

I have an issue with the 104 where i have turned off most portools apart from smb and ftp the only users that have any permissions are myself the admin account and my two media server accounts the issue is that the sumvison cyclone media players show volume under the local devices even though i have turned off the dlna ?

Any ideas
Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: Share issue

Are you actually able to play media (or see the media listed)? Or is the issue just that the media players are discovering the NAS?
Message 2 of 10
psxman_uk1
Aspirant

They are discovering the nas but have no access to the files which is correct if i conenct to the nas with the user pass they see the shares and ply the media the media players dont need anything else as they transcode the movie files themselves
Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

The player isn't transcoding anything, it just supports SMB for access.

Anyway, it sounds like nothing is wrong. Can you explain more about what behavior you are expecting?
Message 4 of 10
psxman_uk1
Aspirant

Sorry your quite correct what i was expecting is not to see the nas from the media center at all unless i map to it

on the media center it shows

My shortcuts
workgroup

VOLUME which is the nas shares i didnt expect to see this if upnp wasnt on
Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Personally I'd leave upnp on.

This is the windows media center? Or something else?
Message 6 of 10
psxman_uk1
Aspirant

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyclone-HD1080p-Media-Player-Adaptor/dp/B0049FH7BW
Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

psxman_uk wrote:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyclone-HD1080p-Media-Player-Adaptor/dp/B0049FH7BW
ok, you mean the player.

Without a manual its a bit hard to know exactly what it supports. It's possible to do discovery apart from upnp - scanning IP addresses, and looking for responses for instance.
Message 8 of 10
psxman_uk1
Aspirant

With upnp can the folders sll have password access or is it a free for all sorry for all the questions it was simpler to setup access controls on the d-link
Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

psxman_uk wrote:
With upnp can the folders sll have password access or is it a free for all sorry for all the questions it was simpler to setup access controls on the d-link
upnp is only about discovery, it has nothing to do with access or passwords.

DLNA (which is supported by your player) doesn't have passwords - that's true for all DLNA servers, so if you were using that with the d-link it would be the same way. It is only accessible from your lan.

SMB/CIFS can be password protected, you'd need to configure a user/password on the player (and add it to the NAS as well, unless you use the built-in admin account).
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements