× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Stop running resynchronisation.

technique
Aspirant

Stop running resynchronisation.

Hi. 

I have some question about resynchronisation on ReadyNAS 4312, OS 6.9.6.

On the 15 november 2022 after an an unmanaged reboot of the nas, some errors on disks sda2 pops on the logs. 

A resynchronisation was started automaticly.  

Actually on 20 december 2022 the resync is still running and freezed on 75.03% since 3 weeks. 

Time left 406121:54:00 ......

Since the 15 november no data pops on the logs via the web page. 

Our NAS is on raid 6 with 12 drives with x-RAID 2.

About 56 To of spaces on the volumes and only 10 To used.

Capture d’écran 2022-12-20 101442.png

My question are the following. 

This resynchronisation is a reconstruction of the volume, isn't it ?

Why does she start alone with a faulty disk and no disk replacement ?  

Can we stop this running resynchronisation with no  risks ? 

Can i replace the faultly hard drive in hot swap just after stopping the resynchronisation ? 

Can i see the logs of this resync by command line ? 

What is the best process to perform disk replacement in this case with the minimum of risks. 

Thanks a lot for your answer. 

Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: Stop running resynchronisation.

@technique wrote:

This resynchronisation is a reconstruction of the volume, isn't it ?

It's a reconstruction of one disk in the volume (using the parity+data blocks on the other disks).

@technique wrote:

Can we stop this running resynchronisation with no  risks ? 

Generally no, the volume will remain degraded if you do.  If you know which disk is causing the problem, then it would be safe to replace that disk - especially since you are running RAID-6.  But it is not completely without risk.

@technique wrote:

Why does she start alone with a faulty disk and no disk replacement ?  

Can i see the logs of this resync by command line ? 

Downloading the log zip file is probably the best place to start.  mdstat.log should give some info on which disk is resyncing.  system.log, kernel.log, system-journal.log should have some information on disk errors.

@technique wrote:

Can i replace the faultly hard drive in hot swap just after stopping the resynchronisation ? 

What is the best process to perform disk replacement in this case with the minimum of risks. 

I normally recommend hot-swapping (NAS running).  You do need to be careful to identify the correct drive.

Message 2 of 5
technique
Aspirant

Hi and thank you for your feedback. 

I will replace the drive tomorrow (hot swap). 

For the logs since the disk is in error, we cant donwload logs from the web page. We will check from command line. 

Next week for the feed back

Thank you

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@technique wrote:

For the logs since the disk is in error, we cant donwload logs from the web page. We will check from command line. 

Have you tried?  The logs are stored in the OS partition, which is replicated on every disk.  The web page performance is slower during a resync, but it should still work.

If you use the command line, then for most logging events you need to use journalctl.

Message 4 of 5
technique
Aspirant

Hi.

The nas was completly unresponding and the download off logs never works. The reboot doesn't work too. 

After the disk replacement the logs download works. Now the volume is degraded and run a clean. 

Capture d’écran 2022-12-23 100423.png

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements