× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Struggling with User network/file access

nickjames
Luminary

Struggling with User network/file access

Greetings 🙂

I've got a ReadyNAS 516 that I help manage for a friend's business. They've finally taken the next step forward with wanting to allow certain users on their network to have access to certain shares. With that said, I've been experimenting all weekend with share's network/file access settings. I'm not able to find exact documentation on the difference between the two, network access vs. file access and I'm wondering if I'm misunderstanding something here. I thought network access meant that user was able to expand the given shared folder and view the contents of the share and sub folders but unable to open any of the files within the sub folders. If you wanted to view the files that's when the file access settings would need to be set up. Is this not true?

Before I ask anymore questions, is there better documentation on this that is specific to the ReadyNAS or is this general file/folder permissions understanding?

If anyone had a guide that I could review, I would love to read it.

Cheers
Message 1 of 10
nickjames
Luminary

Here is a scenario for you-

Share A and Share B
I setup the same exact settings for both shares- double checking each tab, writing down all the settings to ensure that I setup Share A the same as Share B.

Share A will prompt the user on a Windows 7 machine for a user name and password and share B will just flat out say Unable to access share, with no option for a username and password.

It doesn't seem like there is a delay when applying these permissions but I'm wondering if there is? I've gone as far as logging out of the machine and logging back in even.
EDIT: I actually tested this ^^ before posting and found that now Share A and Share B ask for the same username and password screens so, Yes, logging out of the machine and back in helped, can anyone clarify?
Message 2 of 10
mrQQ
Apprentice

can someone please answer to this man, because I too, have trouble understanding the settings.
Message 3 of 10
nickjames
Luminary

Well the network went live again today and I had to back out all the permissions because I still wasn't able to get a clear understanding of how this is supposed to work. Is it assumed that most network administrators will use active directory (AD) to manage the shares and using the WebUI/permissions properties built in to the OS just isn't as efficient?

How long does it take for the permissions to come into effect? I've seen it work instantly but then I've seen at other times, it seems like hours is appropriate.

Any help or tips on this would be greatly appreciative. I'm chasing my tail here folks.

Cheers

mrQQ wrote:
can someone please answer to this man, because I too, have trouble understanding the settings.

Thanks for the bump! 😄
Message 4 of 10
nickjames
Luminary

any additional thoughts, any one, ...

bump
Message 5 of 10
nickjames
Luminary

Can anyone please point me in the right direction here?

There's no documentation on this that a moderator could help provide?
Message 6 of 10
LrdShaper
Aspirant

nickjames wrote:

Share A and Share B
I setup the same exact settings for both shares- double checking each tab, writing down all the settings to ensure that I setup Share A the same as Share B.

Share A will prompt the user on a Windows 7 machine for a user name and password and share B will just flat out say Unable to access share, with no option for a username and password.

Ok just to be clear, since you got "Unable to access share" error when trying to access ShareB I assume even though ShareA and ShareB have the same settings, the user allowed to access ShareB is different from the user allowed to access ShareA. Means you want to connect to ShareA as UserA and to ShareB as UserB from the same machine, am I correct?
Message 7 of 10
nickjames
Luminary

LrdShaper wrote:
nickjames wrote:

Share A and Share B

Ok just to be clear, since you got "Unable to access share" error when trying to access ShareB I assume even though ShareA and ShareB have the same settings, the user allowed to access ShareB is different from the user allowed to access ShareA. Means you want to connect to ShareA as UserA and to ShareB as UserB from the same machine, am I correct?

No, I dont think that is the case, let me explain it or at least try too. By the way, thanks for taking a moment to help.

My client has a network of users which aren't using any methods of authentication other than what is installed locally on the machine (ie, no domain server or active directory)

The way each user gets access to the readyNAS is through logging into the computer, then My Computer and then expanding the Network on the left hand side of Explorer and then selecting the ReadyNAS. Once they expand the NAS all the shares show up, which anyone who has access to the network, has access to. I'd like to restrict what users have access too so I created users on the NAS as well as groups.

With that said, I'll remote into the test machine I have on their network, log into that machine locally either using a test account I've created or the user that uses that machine and test my current permissions with the user I logged into windows with. This is where I think it may get weird- since the Windows user I'm logged in with (Nick) has a user account on the NAS (Nick), if Nick has read/write access to the share, it doesn't require me to enter a password. However when logged into the computer under a different user name, I get the "unable to access share" error. I don't get prompt to enter a username and password. Furthermore, I tried scenarios where I was able to get the username and password to show up (don't ask me how but I did it) and it wouldn't take the credentials.

When taking a step back and looking at this situation again, I was starting to wonder if I'm going about this all wrong. I thought maybe the share permissions were corrupt so I decided to reset all the permissions and that also didnt help.

Does that make any sense? I feel like I'm making this harder than it needs to be. I just wish their was some documentation that was a bit more thorough on this process. I think I'm running into an authentication issue
Message 8 of 10
nickjames
Luminary

http://www.readynas.com/kb/
I stumbled upon this too. I'll look at this later tonight in hopes for answers 🙂
Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

From your symptoms, I am thinking that the computers you are using for testing might already have credentials set for the NAS in the windows credentials manager. The credentials are valid, so the NAS accepts them without a new password challenge. But if they don't allow access to a particular share, the NAS denies it.

Does that make sense?

Note also that windows will only allow one set of credentials to be used for the NAS. So if you are accessing one share as Nick, you can't access a second share as Sally. There is a trick you can pull, since Windows isn't smart enough to realize that the NAS IP address and the NAS name get to the same machine. But that is to arcane for most users to take advantage of.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements