× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Sync between two (or more) OS6 NAS on same local network: Suggestions please.

btwixt
Guide

Sync between two (or more) OS6 NAS on same local network: Suggestions please.

There are a bewildering number of solutions on the Internet.

I am seeking the opinion of folks I have come to trust,

namely the NetGear Community.

Actually, this may be simplified into:

I have a directory on NAS A that I want to mirror itself onto the same directory on NAS B.

I don't think I want changes on the NAS B directory making their way back to NAS A.

Both NAS A and NAS B are on the same local network

(Physically in separate buildings in case that matters at all.)

I am not interested in syncing to a cloud at this juncture.

Is there a reliable way to implement this?

Is this a dumb arrangement?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Sync between two (or more) OS6 NAS on same local network: Suggestions please.

@btwixt wrote:

I have a directory on NAS A that I want to mirror itself onto the same directory on NAS B.

I don't think I want changes on the NAS B directory making their way back to NAS A.

One option is to set up an rsync backup job that runs periodically.

My own backup plan has rsync backup jobs for each share running on each destination NAS (NAS B in your case) that run on a schedule.  I do this because the destinations are on power schedules. 

If both NAS are always running, then it is probably best to run the backup job on the source (NAS A).  Then the source will make a temporary snapshot and then back up the snapshot.  That ensures coherency.

There is a setting in the ReadyNAS rsync backup jobs to delete any files on NAS B that are no longer on NAS A.  That is set on my systems, and I also have custom snapshots set up on the destinations so I can roll back to older versions of the files and folders if that is needed.

This of course is not a true "sync", as the destination is updated on a schedule, and not as files change.

Another option that doesn't require a cloud is Resilio Sync.  This is in the Netgear app store (free), but the version there is old (2019). The current version (2022 March) is here: https://help.resilio.com/hc/en-us/articles/206179364-Netgear

I've used this with PCs and mobile devices, but never run it natively on a ReadyNAS.  So I don't know if it will meet your use case or not.  But it is free to try.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@btwixt wrote:

One option is to set up an rsync backup job that runs periodically.

My own backup plan has rsync backup jobs for each share running on each destination NAS (NAS B in your case) that run on a schedule.  I do this because the destinations are on power schedules. 

If both NAS are always running, then it is probably best to run the backup job on the source (NAS A).  Then the source will make a temporary snapshot and then back up the snapshot.  That ensures coherency.

There is a setting in the ReadyNAS rsync backup jobs to delete any files on NAS B that are no longer on NAS A.  That is set on my systems, and I also have custom snapshots set up on the destinations so I can roll back to older versions of the files and folders if that is needed.

This of course is not a true "sync", as the destination is updated on a schedule, and not as files change.

Another option that doesn't require a cloud is Resilio Sync.  This is in the Netgear app store (free), but the version there is old (2019). The current version (2022 March) is here: https://help.resilio.com/hc/en-us/articles/206179364-Netgear

I've used this with PCs and mobile devices, but never run it natively on a ReadyNAS.  So I don't know if it will meet your use case or not.  But it is free to try.

Message 2 of 3
btwixt
Guide

I love having your setup as a working example!

That's the kind of info I was looking for.

That's more than enough to get me started.

Thanks, StephenB.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements