× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: System volumes root's usage is 82%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. - H

BingDanT
Aspirant

System volumes root's usage is 82%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. - HELP?

Hi,

So I've suddenly started getting the following message from my NAS:-

System volumes root's usage is 82%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions.

Is this someitng to do with the recent FIrmware update ?

As the NAS has been running pritty much trouble free for a couple of years now.

I had a look at the forum and using some other posts, I SSH into the system and also found that the bulk of the size is being taken up by the /dev/md0 folder but I cant CD into that folder to take a closer look.

I have next to no experience with Linux commands so any simple step by step insuctuctions would be ace.

@mdmg - it looks like you've come across this issue in the past ??

Any help would be ace ?

Cheers !

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 21
StephenB
Guru

Re: System volumes root's usage is 82%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. - H

If you don't have a backup of your data, make a backup right away.

/dev/md0 is the OS partition.  You need to search the folders in that partition -  (/usr, /var, /etc, ...).  

But this isn't the best time to learn linux...  I suggest considering paid support for this (my.netgear.com).  If you purchased the NAS (new) between 1 June 2014 and 31 May 2016, then you have free lifetime chat support.  If not, you can still ask for per-incident support.

Message 2 of 21
BingDanT
Aspirant

I checked my netgear account and I bought the NAS drive on 04/Apr/2014 😞

I cant backup my data is ats about 5TB and its all on the NAS unit!

Message 3 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@BingDanT wrote:

I cant backup my data is ats about 5TB and its all on the NAS unit! 

Unfortunately RAID is not enough to keep your data safe.  If you don't have a backup plan, you will lose your data at some point (just a matter of when).  If you browse the forums, you'll find a lot of folks who learned this the hard way. 

@BingDanT wrote:

I checked my netgear account and I bought the NAS drive on 04/Apr/2014 😞

Then ask for per-incident support.  It's the safest way to clear this problem up.

Message 4 of 21
BingDanT
Aspirant

Any other suggestions ?

I was thinking of trying the steps here:- https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Volume-System-volume-root-s-usage-is-95-This-co...

Message 5 of 21
BingDanT
Aspirant

Although if you could supply clear steps that would be ace ?

Message 6 of 21
StephenB
Guru

You don't know even the basics of shell commands, and you have no backup.  That's like learning to walk a tightrope over a concrete floor with no safety net.

Per-incident support should be able to resolve this quickly for less than $100 US. 

Message 7 of 21
BingDanT
Aspirant

Bit Harsh ....

I have a limited knowledge of Linux commands (Enough to set-up a raspberry Pi), but hey ho.

Message 8 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@BingDanT wrote:

Bit Harsh ....

I have a limited knowledge of Linux commands (Enough to set-up a raspberry Pi), but hey ho.

Well, I can only judge by what you post, and that began with not being able to browse the /dev/md0 "folder".  I think it is safer for you to engage paid support, so you don't accidentally brick your NAS or destroy your data.  

But if you don't want to do that, then the basic process is to enter 

mount --bind / /mnt

and then search /mnt to sort out where the space is going.  Generally there might be files that need to be deleted (particularly in /usb), or large logs that need to be truncated.  If you've installed apps (particularly if you've done that via ssh), then look at the space they need and where they are installed. Ideally they'd be installed to /apps (which is actually on the data volume, so it won't show up on /mnt).

This command might be helpful in analyzing /mnt

du -d1 -h /mnt

Then when done, enter 

umount /mnt

and reboot the NAS.

Message 9 of 21
BingDanT
Aspirant

OK so the plot thickens

Decided to give support a call instead they told me to defrage first and then scrub the discs and then balance them.

Defrage went ok, but i lost 1tb in the process.

I started the scrub but then we had a power cut and the readynas rebooted, unfortunalty it now wont turn on and says retry booting but gets stuck at 92%.

My NAS is now a brick 😞

The last email i got  said "System volumes root's usage is 86%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions"

What should I do?, I really cant do a factory reset as I dont have a backup of my 5TB of data.

Should i try an OS reinstall ??

Message 10 of 21
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

Please enable secure diagnostic via RAIDar,

https://kb.netgear.com/27391/ReadyNAS-RAIDar-6-0

or enable it in Admin GUI -> Seystem-> Settings-> Support,

then PM 5 digital to mdgm, he can remote access your NAS and help you fix it.

it shoud be some app cause the issue.

Message 11 of 21
BingDanT
Aspirant

Hi @evan2,

Can I do this if the NAS wont boot ?

It gets stuck at 92% and says "Retry Startup"

Message 12 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@BingDanT wrote:

It gets stuck at 92% and says "Retry Startup"

Does it still do that if you boot the system as read-only?

If not, will it boot up in tech support mode?

Either would allow remote troubeshooting.

Message 13 of 21
StephenB
Guru

Can you boot in tech support mode?  Then support should be able to continue remotely.

Message 14 of 21
BingDanT
Aspirant

Hi,

I can give it a go, should i call them first before I attempt it  as it says WARNING: Use the tech support boot mode only when instructed to do so by a NETGEAR technical support representative.

Message 15 of 21
StephenB
Guru

There's not really any risk, but it will give Netgear access to the machine.

It's fine to call them first (and IMO they should help you, since the second problem happened when you were following their advice).

Not sure why they asked you to run defrag, balance, and scrub - since none of them touch the system volume.

Message 16 of 21
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

I found your case. I notice they were saying something about removing the Sickbeard app but were running into problems. I helped uninstall Sickbeard from your NAS so now if this was your root cause, then it should not fill up your root volume anymore 🙂

Message 17 of 21
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

StephenB wrote:

Not sure why they asked you to run defrag, balance, and scrub - since none of them touch the system volume.

This lucky ReadyNAS comes from 6.0.1, which was very beginning of our firmware cycles for OS 6. On units that come with 6.0.x, there is a thing where btrfs would reserve an unnecessarily large amount of metadata. We enhanced this in a future firmware release to use metadata as needed, not frivolously, but it doesn't go back and fix the existing allocation. From what I gather, this recommendation would be because the support expert was trying to give the customer back more space on their volume by reducing the metadata usage. The metadata is holding 280 GB of data hostage when it only needs to use about 12.42 GB. It doesn't look like this was cleaned up, however.

Message 18 of 21
BingDanT
Aspirant

Hi All,

so so I got support to step in and sort out the root space, they didn't tell me what caused it however so I removed all none essential apps.

sickbeard is an app I installed years ago but couldn't remove so asked if they could do this for me.

its still showing in my list of installed apps however ??

@kohdee Can I clean up the metadata usage using the admin screen ?

cheers

Message 19 of 21
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

@BingDanT wrote:

Hi All,

so so I got support to step in and sort out the root space, they didn't tell me what caused it however so I removed all none essential apps.

sickbeard is an app I installed years ago but couldn't remove so asked if they could do this for me.

its still showing in my list of installed apps however ??

@kohdee Can I clean up the metadata usage using the admin screen ?

cheers

Ahhh, I see. I just read the last bit of the case, not the beginning.

If you refresh your UI, does it still show it as installed? There is no config left to show it in the UI anymore.  😛

Yes, the UI lets you perform a balance on the volume from the Volume screen. UI does not let you perform a "full balance." The UI only lets you perform a partial balance, where it uses filters to only look for specific sections of data to clean up. It does not always do a 100% job. The reason why the UI doesn't do a full balance is because a full balance is very intensive and takes some time and in lots of cases, is unnecessary to run. 

Message 20 of 21
BingDanT
Aspirant

Hi,

yes its still listed.

ive attached a screen shot

IMG_0042.PNG

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements