× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Systemic NFS problems

tadgy
Star

Systemic NFS problems

I've been in the process of moving my data onto my ReadyNAS and in the process i've found some problems/issues with the way NFS is configured on it.

I'll do the security issue first...

The export for the home folders (both for nfs3 and nfs4) is too wide-ranging - it allows read-write access to EVERY single host within a network (because of the wildcard * in the export's IP/host feild).  This is a massive no-no in the NFS world - unless you are utterly sure you want untrusted hosts to have write ability to everyone's data.

I couldn't see any way of changing this via the web interface like I can with other share exports - those can at least be configured on a per host read-write level.

(I don't need a lecture on how NFS isn't secure anyway - i'm aware of its pitfalls, but we should be able to use what little security is has built in, no? :))

The second issue relates to the honouring of the 'async' advanaced option in the share config.  Even though 'async' is ticked and indeed does export nfs3 shares as async, the setting is not honoured for the nfs4 exports - those are still exported with 'sync'.

Can this bug be fixed?

Additionally, there is no way to enable 'async' for the "home" share (either for nfs3 or nfs4) - is there a reason this option isn't provided to the user?

Hope to get some helpful replies 🙂

Cheers.

Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements