× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Timed power-up fails on Ultra 2 Plus (case ID #16011395)

AVoelp
Tutor

Timed power-up fails on Ultra 2 Plus

I have had my Ultra 2 Plus running for about 3 months now, with timed power down every night and timed power up every morning. Although the unit still powers down as scheduled, it has recently stopped to power up in the morning without any intervention from my side.

I have verified that the system time is correct. Furthermore, there is always an entry in the system log at power-down that start-up has been planned as shown in the Power Timer schedule. However, at the scheduled time the unit does not do anything (and there is also no entry in the log). When the system is then powered up via wake-on-LAN or by depressing the power button it starts without any problems.

This is what I have tried so far:

- I performed a firmware update from version 4.2.16 to version 4.2.17
- I switched the power timer off and on again

No effect so far.

I have also noticed that although my ReadyNAS is an Ultra 2 Plus (model no. RNDP200U), the RAIDiator homepage says that it is a Pro 2.

Any help is appreciated.

Andreas
Message 1 of 14
Jedi_Knight
Tutor

Re: Timed power-up fails on Ultra 2 Plus

Please contact tech support and send in your system logs with support case #.
Message 2 of 14
AVoelp
Tutor

The support case ID is #16011395.

They logged into the GUI remotely (they did not provide any information what exactly they did there), but after that the problem still remains (the unit shuts down as scheduled, but it does not wake up according to the schedule). 😞
Message 3 of 14
christopherw
Aspirant

AVoelp wrote:
The support case ID is #16011395.

They logged into the GUI remotely (they did not provide any information what exactly they did there), but after that the problem still remains (the unit shuts down as scheduled, but it does not wake up according to the schedule). 😞

That's a little concerning, do all ReadyNASes establish an outbound connection to Netgear if they're on a regular Internet connection and can be accessed remotely by anyone at Netgear with valid credentials? That's awful data security. In the UK we had similar problems with ISPs being able to log in to routers silently with credentials not very well hidden in the modem configs; after that security hole was disclosed people actively exploited it until the hole was finally fixed by Thomson.
Message 4 of 14
beisser1
Aspirant

christopherw wrote:

That's a little concerning, do all ReadyNASes establish an outbound connection to Netgear if they're on a regular Internet connection and can be accessed remotely by anyone at Netgear with valid credentials?

no.

this only works if special addons are installed and/or proper portforwardings are configured.
Message 5 of 14
christopherw
Aspirant

beisser wrote:
christopherw wrote:

That's a little concerning, do all ReadyNASes establish an outbound connection to Netgear if they're on a regular Internet connection and can be accessed remotely by anyone at Netgear with valid credentials?

no.

this only works if special addons are installed and/or proper portforwardings are configured.

Colour me relieved 😉 (and sorry to OP for slight thread hijack)

(and, first post!) Just installed my ReadyNAS 2 Ultra last night, had a near-miss with my latest primary HDD (partitioned into five no less!) so decided it wasn't worth continuing down the JBOD route for expanding my system. Finally, as of tonight, I'll have some breathing room... well, just enough time for me to save up to buy a second NAS to back the first one up. 😉

@ OP - from what you describe about the unit being misidentified in the firmware, sounds like it's been crossflashed perhaps in the past or the unit's faulty? Can't imagine all's well with its internals if it's identifying itself to the FW as a Pro.
Message 6 of 14
AVoelp
Tutor

christopherw wrote:
@ OP - from what you describe about the unit being misidentified in the firmware, sounds like it's been crossflashed perhaps in the past or the unit's faulty?

No, it's not been crossflashed. Netgear Support informed me that according to the serial no. it is actually a Pro 2 on which somebody put an Ultra 2 Plus sticker by mistake and put it into the wrong retail box :wink: Apparently the hardware of the two units is identical.
Message 7 of 14
beisser1
Aspirant

AVoelp wrote:
christopherw wrote:
@ OP - from what you describe about the unit being misidentified in the firmware, sounds like it's been crossflashed perhaps in the past or the unit's faulty?

No, it's not been crossflashed. Netgear Support informed me that according to the serial no. it is actually a Pro 2 on which somebody put an Ultra 2 Plus sticker by mistake and put it into the wrong retail box :wink: Apparently the hardware of the two units is identical.

it was me who contacted you 🙂

and yes according to the serial and the vpd it indeed IS a pro2.

btw i tried a pro2 and no matter what i do it always powers up and down as planned. we need to investigate this further next week.

maybe you can try that spare disk as well over the weekend.
Message 8 of 14
AVoelp
Tutor

These were my activities over the weekend:

• After the unit powered down as scheduled, waited for about 36 hours to see whether it would power up at a different time of day. It didn't.

• Removed both disks and put in a blank (spare) drive. After the unit had completed the installation, I just set the timer to power down and up again half an hour later. It powered down, but it never powered up again.

I think it follows that the problem is not related to the OS on the drive.

What next?

Andreas
Message 9 of 14
beisser1
Aspirant

AVoelp wrote:
These were my activities over the weekend:

• After the unit powered down as scheduled, waited for about 36 hours to see whether it would power up at a different time of day. It didn't.

• Removed both disks and put in a blank (spare) drive. After the unit had completed the installation, I just set the timer to power down and up again half an hour later. It powered down, but it never powered up again.

I think it follows that the problem is not related to the OS on the drive.

What next?

Andreas

thanks. we will talk on monday about the next steps, but its good that it does not seem to be software-related.
Message 10 of 14
AVoelp
Tutor

As to the next steps, I configured a power-down power-up sequence with half an hour in-between. Then I switched off the scheduler and re-started the ReadyNAS via FrontView. Next I switched the scheduler on again and re-started the unit a second time. No effect: The unit powered down as scheduled but failed to power up again.
Message 11 of 14
beisser1
Aspirant

i will contact you tomorrow regarding the next steps.
Message 12 of 14
piepskie
Aspirant

Any solutions? I am facing the same problem
Message 13 of 14
AVoelp
Tutor

... meanwhile the unit has been replaced by Netgear Customer Service.

Andreas
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements