× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ubuntu CIFS Mount - Can't Move/Delete Files on Windows Network Maps that Ubuntu Creates

tekzpot
Aspirant

Ubuntu CIFS Mount - Can't Move/Delete Files on Windows Network Maps that Ubuntu Creates

Hi all, I have a CIFS mount on my Ubuntu PI that connects to one of the shares on my ReadyNas 314 via SMB. The mount options include username/pass of an account on Ubuntu that has read/write access on the NAS.

I also connect to the same share on my Windows machine using a network map, it uses a different account, again with read/write permissions (actually is share owner/group also on the RN).

Problem is when either create files on the share the other cannot move/delete these files, I have to go in to the ReadyNas admin and reset the file permissions on the folder or use the GUI to move the files.

I think there should be an option for file creation rights on the NAS but can't find it, please would appreciate some help.

Kind regards,

Will

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Ubuntu CIFS Mount - Can't Move/Delete Files on Windows Network Maps that Ubuntu Creates

@tekzpot wrote:

Problem is when either create files on the share the other cannot move/delete these files, I have to go in to the ReadyNas admin and reset the file permissions on the folder or use the GUI to move the files.

I think there should be an option for file creation rights on the NAS but can't find it, please would appreciate some help.

File creation rights just follows the normal linux model - if you have write access to the containing folder, you can create/delete anything in the folder.

Is "grant rename and delete privileges to non-owner..." set on the file access tab for the share?  I realize it only says AFP and NFS, but I suggest setting that anyway. 

Maybe also look to see if "folder group" is set to read/write on the "default access" share. You could alternatively set "everyone" read/write access for the file access, and rely on SMB access controls alone to limit access.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Ubuntu CIFS Mount - Can't Move/Delete Files on Windows Network Maps that Ubuntu Creates

@tekzpot wrote:

File creation rights just follows the normal linux model - if you have write access to the containing folder, you can create/delete anything in the folder.

Is "grant rename and delete privileges to non-owner..." set on the file access tab for the share?  I realize it only says AFP and NFS, but I suggest setting that anyway. 

Maybe also look to see if "folder group" is set to read/write on the "default access" share. You could alternatively set "everyone" read/write access for the file access, and rely on SMB access controls alone to limit access.

Message 2 of 3
tekzpot
Aspirant

Folder group in 'Default Access' was set to read only! Changed it and it's now working, thank you! 🙂

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements