× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to access boot menu on ReadyNAS 2304 using Reset + Power button combination

sapmec
Aspirant

Unable to access boot menu on ReadyNAS 2304 using Reset + Power button combination

Hoping someone can provide some hints as to next steps. I have google'd and searched through this forum for different variations of 'cannot access boot menu' with and without 'readynas 2304' key words and have not found anything that exactly fits my scenario. Hoping someone can shed some light before I contact paid technical support 😜

• ReadyNAS 2304 purchased January 7, 2020, so it's past 90 day free technical support
    • understand this product is already 'end of life' but hoping can still address this issue since it's been working pretty much perfectly since purcahse
  • after a power/UPS unit failure it seems like the ReadyNAS was shut down due to loss of power...still have to troubleshoot the UPS issue but just plugged the ReadyNAS into wall power to get it back up and running...unfortunately, for whatever reason I can no longer 'see' the unit on the network via ReadyCloud, https;//<IP address>/admin, network browsing via macOS or Windows, ping of the IP address, or RAIDar search
  • I do not recall if I have SSH enabled but I cannot ping the unit at it's previously known and accessible assigned fixed IP address so have no where to ssh to 😜
    • I even checked the router to see all attached device IP addresses and could not find an IP address that might be the NAS (I even switched network ports on the ReadyNAS to see if the other port still had DHCP active on it with no luck in seeing an obvious IP address assignment)
  • found this knowledge base article that seems to be similar in that it may appear that the network settings/IP address might have changed so no longer visible?
  • every time I press Reset + Power buttons together the following occurs:
    • with network cable in and network connection blue light flashing
      • unit powers up but before power light turns solid (or health, UI, and power show solid) it simply powers off
      • if I keep both Reset + Power buttons pressed it will run through another power up cycle but never reaches the solid power (or health, UI, and power lights being solid) as indicated in the instructions as it then shuts down
    • with the network cable unplugged
      • unit powers up but before power light turns solid (or health, UI, and power show solid) it simply powers off, and after a few seconds cycles up and will keep cycling power up and shutdown as long as I keep the Reset + Power buttons depressed
  • just a guess but maybe the Reset button isn't working (I have made sure that I feel the tactile click/depression of the Reset button each time)? as pressing the power button for 4 seconds as indicated in the manual simply shuts the unit down, the below is from the 2304 user manual, ReadyNAS OS 6 Rack-Mount Hardware Manual (netgear.com)

Preferred Shutdown

You can gracefully shut down your system by using the Power button or the ReadyNAS local admin page. For information about how to gracefully shut down your system using the ReadyNAS local admin page, see the ReadyNAS OS 6.5 Software Manual, which is available at http://support.netgear.com/product/ReadyNAS-OS6.

To gracefully shut down your system using the Power button: 1. Press the Power button on the front panel of the system. The Power LED blinks, prompting you to confirm the shutdown. 2. Press the Power button again. The system shuts down gracefully.

Forced Shutdown

Perform a forced shutdown only if the storage system is not responding. To perform a forced shutdown: Press and hold the Power button on the front panel for more than four seconds. The system shuts down.

Any suggestions and/or recommendations would be very much appreciated 😜

Model: ReadyNAS-OS6|
Message 1 of 2
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Unable to access boot menu on ReadyNAS 2304 using Reset + Power button combination

You are not looking for "free technical support", you are looking for warranty support.  Assuming you purchased it new from an authorized dealer, you should still be in warranty.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements