× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to delete folder on NAS

howardg1
Aspirant

Unable to delete folder on NAS

I am a newbie at this but would very much appreciate some help. I am trying to delete (using Vista) an empty folder on my ReadyNAS. I get an error in Vista: "Destination Folder Access Denied - You need permission to perform this action." I try to change ownership in Vista but get nowhere. I am guessing it has to do with permissions on my folder on the NAS. Under Frontview the share name is media. Under advanced options the Share Folder Owner is listed as "nobody" and the Share Folder Group is listed as "nogroup." What do I need to do to get this in order so I will be the owner of these folder under Vista? Thank you.

-Howard
Message 1 of 64
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Unable to delete folder on NAS

Which security mode are you using? This information should be available in the Security page in Frontview. Some models of ReadyNAS do not support security modes, so if you don't see it in the Security page, let me know which model you're using.
Message 2 of 64
howardg1
Aspirant

ewok wrote:
Which security mode are you using? This information should be available in the Security page in Frontview. Some models of ReadyNAS do not support security modes, so if you don't see it in the Security page, let me know which model you're using.

thank you so much for your reply -- I am out of the country for a family funeral until Feb 5th so I hope you can wait until then for me to reply.
Message 3 of 64
howardg1
Aspirant

I was able to look up my order info on NewEgg. I have this model: NETGEAR ReadyNAS Duo RND2150 500GB. I added a second hard drive for a RAID1 config: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA. I will be able to monitor this thread from where I am, but I have no access to the NAS until Feb. 5th. Thank you!
Message 4 of 64
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

If this is just an isolated issue, the easiest way to delete the folder would be to connect to the share as admin (who will have superuser privileges) and delete it. Please let me know if that works when you have the chance to try it.
Message 5 of 64
howardg1
Aspirant

Thanks. I will be returning home on Friday, so I can try it this weekend. Do you mind explaining how to connect as an admin? I think it is more than an isolated issue since there are numerous folders I cannot move or delete. These all seem to be files that I copied over from my old Windows XP system (I am now running a Vista-based system). The files I create from the new Vista system do not present any problems as far as deletions and moves. BTW, I have tried numerous time to "take ownership" of the problem files through Vista, but have not been able to do so Thanks again.

-Howard
Message 6 of 64
racer8880
Aspirant

Hi

I have the same problem
Please could you explain how to connect as admin
Why is it so difficult to delete files

Update...

I worked out how to log on as Admin user

Open readynas in browser and readynas\admin enter user name and password
You will then see other folders.

But I can still not delete the files I want to.............help
Message 7 of 64
howardg1
Aspirant

OK, I am back now and ready to address the problem of folders that cannot be deleted. To answer previously posed questions, under security in Frontview I have only two tabs: 1) Admin Password and 2) User & Group Accounts. I have no user accounts defined. I cannot figure out how to connect to a share as an admin. Racer8880's suggestion to "... readynas\admin enter user name and password" doesn't make sense to me. Thanks.
Message 8 of 64
racer8880
Aspirant

Cracked it

I have a XP pc on the network.

I mapped up a drive to connect to: "c on readynas"
You can request a login as a diff user so I logged in under my readynas admin account

I could then delete,copy,cut

It seems to be a problem when using Vista
😄 😄 😄
Message 9 of 64
howardg1
Aspirant

Racer8880, I cannot understand your solution. You say you mapped your ReadyNAS as the C: drive? Isn't the C: drive already your system drive? What do you mean you "logged in under your readynas admin account"? Logged into what? Your computer? I might be able to get it if you were more specific as to what you did.
Message 10 of 64
racer8880
Aspirant

Ok

Step by Step

1:On an XP PC connected to the network
2: click start
3: right click my computer
4: Map network drive
5:assign any unused letter as drive say "w"
6: Folder Browse
7: select network places
8: you will see a network connection call " c on Readynas" where readynas is the name of my NAS yours may be something different "c on (name of nas)"
9:select this connection
10: tick box "reconnect on login"
11: "connect using a different user name"
12 a box will appear "connect as"
13 enter you Nas admin login and password click OK

you will now connect to the NAS and be able to delete, cut , copy anything you like

There you go
Message 11 of 64
howardg1
Aspirant

Thank you. I was able to follow this procedure on Vista up to the point where you say I should "see a network connection called 'c on Readynas' where readynas is the name of my NAS yours may be something different 'c on (name of nas).'" What I see is simply the name of my NAS ("NAS-02-43-FD"); I do *not* see "c on NAS-02-43-FD." This lack of a "c on..." phrase may be unimportant. Anyway, I went ahead and mapped my "media" sub-folder to a drive letter and fulfilled steps 10-13 of your procedure, specifying a different username and password (those for my NAS). Then it connected and I was able to see all the files and folders in my "media" sub-folder. HOWEVER, I still cannot delete certain folders. I still get the message "Destination folder access denied. You need permission to perform this action." I even checked the properties/security for the mapped drive, and it allows "full control" (as well as modify, read & execute, list folder contents, read, and write) to "NAS 02-43-FD\admin." So I am back to where I started!
Message 12 of 64
racer8880
Aspirant

My main pc has the Vista operating system and like yours it does not work with the mapped drive.
Vista must manage security differently :roll:
As I said in my reply you must use an XP operating system to map the drive on the network and then it works fine.
Message 13 of 64
howardg1
Aspirant

Is there a solution for this under Vista? Can anyone suggest anything?
Message 14 of 64
Dimitri_P
Aspirant

I have a folder in a folder in main share;

it is empty, but I cannot delete it, neither over CFS, nor over HTTP/s with read/write privileges

rebooted NAS few times, still no luck

tried mounting share with admin login/pass - still no luck

any idea, what should be done?

"folder **** cannot be deleted, because it is being used by another person or program"
Message 15 of 64
howardg1
Aspirant

I may have resolved my problem. It's a little embarrassing because it is rather straightforward -- the folders and files I was trying to delete were marked READ ONLY under properties. After I de-selected this attribute I was able to delete the files and folders. Now mind you, prior to this I had taken other steps that may have contributed to this result, such as mapping the NAS to a drive and setting it to connect using a different use name, i.e., my NAS's admin username and password. I also gave NAS/admin full control over the folder and all its subfiles and folders. Then I noticed that the "read-only" attribute was selected and, after un-doing that, I had complete control over the folder. I hope this helps others who might be having a similar problem. And thanks to ewok and racer8880 for their help.
Message 16 of 64
Dimitri_P
Aspirant

no luck here
Message 17 of 64
howardg1
Aspirant

Dimitri_P: This might be a problem unrelated to ownership/security issues on the NAS. You might be able to use a free program called Process Explorer to help (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96653.aspx). The following is from one of the follow-up answeres at http://ask-leo.com/why_cant_i_delete_this_file.html.

We all have had the experience of seeing the Windows Error Deleting File or Folder – Cannot delete : It is being used by another person or program.

If you are unable to delete a file or folder when the only program running is Windows Explorer, the Windows application Explorer is usually* the program at fault. Explorer since day one has had a problem with releasing file locks but, you can use the following manual procedure to delete any file or folder.

You must be sure the file or folder you want to delete is not needed by either the operating system or an application. If you are unsure you can use the program Process Explorer to determine which program process has a lock on the file or folder. You can download the program for free at the http://www.sysinternals.com which, re-directs you to the Microsoft TechNet website http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... fault.aspx. After installing Process Explorer you can use the Find menu then select the File Handle or DLL option (ctrl-F) and type in the name of the file or folder name and learn the name of the program preventing the file or folder deletion. In any event, Process Explorer is a good addition to your toolkit.

Also have a look at this page: http://xona.com/2004/08/19.html. Hope this helps.
Message 18 of 64
Dimitri_P
Aspirant

didn't help.

i created another share;

copied all important stuff there and deleted the original share.

D.
Message 19 of 64
phatredmatt
Aspirant

I too am having problems deleting files and folders on my \media share because 'access is denied'.

I have mapped the drive and selected the option to connect using a different user name.

I put in 'admin' as the user name, and put my password in the password box, then press 'finish'.

The system attempts to connect to \\Nas-xx-xx-xx\Media... and then brings up another window asking for my user name (already filled in as 'admin') and password. I type in my password.

The window returns, this time with 'NAS-xx-xx-xx\admin' in the user name box. I type my password in, but the box just keeps coming back.

I'm obviously inputting something incorrectly. Help!!

MattB
Message 20 of 64
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

phatredmatt wrote:

I'm obviously inputting something incorrectly. Help!!

Make sure you're using the admin password you would use when accessing Frontview.

If you haven't changed the default admin password for Frontview, please do that first. Share access as admin is disabled until the default password has been changed.
Message 21 of 64
phatredmatt
Aspirant

I am definitely using the same password that I use in Frontview - I even changed the administrator password again just to make sure (so it's not the default the NAS comes with).

I'm using XP Home and setting up the mapped drive in Windows Explorer. The unit is a ReadyNAS Duo.

MattB
Message 22 of 64
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

Please reproduce the problem, then use the info in my sig to send the system logs.
Message 23 of 64
phatredmatt
Aspirant

System logs forwarded.

For info, the folders & files I'm trying to delete are in the structure NAS-xx-xx-xx\Media\Folder\Subfolder\File.

I can change the name of the folder, but I can't delete it. Looking at its properties, the 'read only' attribute is marked as a green square.

I cannot change the name of the subfolder (access denied). Looking at its properties, the 'read only' attribute is marked as a green square.

I cannot change the name of the file (access denied). Looking at its properties, only the archive attribute is marked with a green tick.
Message 24 of 64
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

Thanks for the logs. I'm not seeing any attempts to log in to the NAS as admin, which security mode are you using? If you're in Share mode, deleting the files as admin won't work.
Message 25 of 64
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements