× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrade TLS for OS6 for Syncthing

RaedyNas
Aspirant

Upgrade TLS for OS6 for Syncthing

ReadyNas Pro 6 with OS6

I'm running syncthing that is requesting that my TLS version is outdated and is rejecting connections. Syncthing has the option to allow older version TLS but doesn't look like that is working.

How would I go about upgrading TLS (or is it Apache?) to keep working with new software updates?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Upgrade TLS for OS6 for Syncthing

OS6.10.9 includes OpenSSL 1.0.1t 3 May 2016, which does not include SSL1.3.  I was able to successfully install OpenSSL 1.1.0l 10 Sep 2019 on a ReadyNAS virtual machine, but AFAIK that's the last one available for Jessie and it doesn't include support for TLS1.3.  You need 1.1.1 for TLS1.3.  I've also not done a thorough test, just verified it doesn't break the admin interface.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
AnishaA
NETGEAR Moderator

And welcome to the NETGEAR Community! 🙂

What is the current TLS version you are been using? 

Syncthing by default allows only TLS 1.3 or higher for sync connections.

If it is below that I suggest you try updating the version and check for the accessibility.

To update the TLS version please find the steps below.

Under TLS Versions, you will see the TLS protocol version(s) currently selected. T

o update the protocol, simply click edit. Next, choose your desired protocol based on your requirements and hit Save Changes.

Please note that you can not disable TLS v1.

Have a lovely day, 
Anisha A
Netgear Team 

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@AnishaA wrote:

To update the TLS version please find the steps below.

Can you kindly clarify what file you are suggesting @RaedyNas should edit?

Also, I am not sure whether you are suggesting that package(s) also need to be updated (or not).  If you are suggesting that, can you give more details on which packages?

Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

OS6.10.9 includes OpenSSL 1.0.1t 3 May 2016, which does not include SSL1.3.  I was able to successfully install OpenSSL 1.1.0l 10 Sep 2019 on a ReadyNAS virtual machine, but AFAIK that's the last one available for Jessie and it doesn't include support for TLS1.3.  You need 1.1.1 for TLS1.3.  I've also not done a thorough test, just verified it doesn't break the admin interface.

Message 4 of 5
RaedyNas
Aspirant

Thanks Sandshark ! That is what I was looking for.

For syncthing it looks like it needed a system restart versus just a software restart to support the older TLS via the backwards compatible software option.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements