× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ZeroTier as a ReadyCloud replacement.

StephenB
Guru

@DuckSoupNAS1 wrote:

I have also downloaded the .deb files from the location below and tried to upload and install via the APPS tab but the amd64.deb failed with a "architecture mismatch" message, 

You must have an arm-based ReadyNAS. What model?

Did you apply the patches need to get apt-get to work?  They are changes in 

• /etc/apt/sources.list
  • /etc/apt/apt.conf
Message 101 of 139
DuckSoupNAS1
Aspirant

Hi, it's an RN102 running 10.6.9, so yes it's an ARM system.

I expected the amd.deb to fail, but I also attempted to Upload...

zerotier-one_1.4.0_armel.deb

zerotier-one_1.4.0_armhf.deb

zerotier-one_1.4.0_arm64.deb

The update process started but failed part way through on each of them.

I used the sources.list and apt.conf suggested by @Sandshark 

Doug

Message 102 of 139
StephenB
Guru

@DuckSoupNAS1 wrote:

I used the sources.list and apt.conf suggested by @Sandshark 

Did you remember to change the 6.10.8 in sources.list to 6.10.9?

Message 103 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

And did you do a apt-get update after making the changes?  If you did, did you get any warnings other than the following:

W: GPG error: http://archive.kernel.org/debian-archive/debian jessie-backports InRelease: The following signatures were invalid: KEYEXPIRED 1587841717  KEYEXPIRED 1668891673
W: GPG error: http://archive.kernel.org/debian-archive/debian jessie Release: The following signatures were invalid: KEYEXPIRED 1587841717

Those warnings are why you need the apt.conf entries.  If you got other warnings, or worse, errors, then go back and check your entries for typos. 

Message 104 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

As @tigerten mentioned in his post, 1.8.7 is now the latest that can be installed with firmware 6.9.10 on an Intel system.  1.8.4 is now the latest that can be installed on and ARM system (using the armhf release).  They must be manually downloaded and installed locally, after obtaining them from https://download.zerotier.com/RELEASES/ and navigating to the appropriate release, debian, jessie, then downloading the .deb for the appropriate architecture.   I tested these on a "fresh" 3220 and a 212 that had 1.6.0 already installed after having just upgraded to 6.10.9 and making the required changes to sources.list (and apt.conf if this is the first time you've made the source change), followed by an apt-get update.

Message 105 of 139
DuckSoupNAS1
Aspirant

Ah, the sweet smell of success... after the apt-get update, I was able to install zerotier-one_1.4.0_armel.deb.

I was able to join my zerotier network... 

Now that seems to be ok, should I try any of the later versions?

Thanks to all!

Doug

Message 106 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

zerotier-one_1.8.4_armhf.deb is the last that can be installed on an ARM based ReadyNAS running OS6.10.9 and is 64-bit (where _armel is 32-bit).

Message 107 of 139
dhl
Luminary
Luminary

@tigerten wrote:

I see people is having problem installing the zerotier app. It is actually very simple. Here is how I did mine.

1. Follow @Sandshark link to fix your "etc/apt/source.list)

How I got apt update and install to work  

2. Download the zerotier deb, in my case it was version 1.8.7

https://download.zerotier.com/RELEASES/1.8.7/dist/debian/jessie/zerotier-one_1.8.7_amd64.deb 

This is the most recent version I could install. Nothing after this

3. Install this within the Web Interface through app uploading. 

4. login to SSH and type in these: 

1. zerotier-cli status-->output: 200 info <device address> ONLINE <zerotier version>
  2. zerotier-cli join xxxxxxxxxx <Your networkID> -->output: Join OK.
  3. (authorize device in zerotier central)
  4. zerotier-cli listnetworks--> outputs 200 listnetworks <nwid> <name> <mac> <status> <type> <dev> <ZT assigned ip>

@tigerten , @StephenB , @Sandshark  - 

Still failing to install the app. Here are the steps I followed:

• Downloaded version 1.8.7 from  the link above.

• Made @Sandshark's changes  to  /etc/apt/sources.list  and created /etc/apt/apt.conf directly on the NAS using VI

• Upgraded the OS to 6.10.9 and rebooted

Version 1.8.7 fails to install from the web interface

Version 1.6.6 fails to install from the web interface
Version 1.6.6 fails to install using apt-get with the same dependency errors

Any advice on where I might have messed up?

Thanks!

Message 108 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

AFAIK, the GUI package install will not work for anything where additional packages need to be updated.  So, basically, unless you are re-installing something (same version), it's likely not going to work at all with anything.

Are you on OS 6.10.9, and did you see my most recent post summarizing the sources update thread?

Did you do an apt-get update after you made the changes to the sources?  There is no need to re-boot.  In fact, doing so does nothing.  You must manually do the apt-get update.  NOTE:  Do not accidently do apt-get upgrade, you'll break stuff.  Since on the ReadyNAS we are at the point that the sources will likely never change, it may not matter; but in general, you should always do an apt-get update before any install.

I'm not sure if this is also part of your problem, but for the benefit of all:  when doing a local install, you must always preface the file name with ./ if it's in the current directory.  Of course, if it's in a different directory, then it doesn't matter.  So, the command is  apt-get install ./zerotier-one_1.8.7_amd64.deb (for Intel-based  NAS).

Message 109 of 139
dhl
Luminary
Luminary

@Sandshark wrote:

AFAIK, the GUI package install will not work for anything where additional packages need to be updated.  So, basically, unless you are re-installing something (same version), it's likely not going to work at all with anything.

Are you on OS 6.10.9, and did you see my most recent post summarizing the sources update thread?

Did you do an apt-get update after you made the changes to the sources?  There is no need to re-boot.  In fact, doing so does nothing.  You must manually do the apt-get update.  NOTE:  Do not accidently do apt-get upgrade, you'll break stuff.  Since on the ReadyNAS we are at the point that the sources will likely never change, it may not matter; but in general, you should always do an apt-get update before any install.

I'm not sure if this is also part of your problem, but for the benefit of all:  when doing a local install, you must always preface the file name with ./ if it's in the current directory.  Of course, if it's in a different directory, then it doesn't matter.  So, the command is  apt-get install ./zerotier-one_1.8.7_amd64.deb (for Intel-based  NAS).

@Sandshark  -

Yes, I updated to OS 6.10.9 after making the edits to /etc/apt/sources.list and creating /etc/apt/apt.conf per your instructions (which is why the system rebooted).

I did not run apt-get update before I tried the manual install which failed. Did I need to run that after making your edits? Should I try running that and try manual installing again?

Thanks!

Message 110 of 139
DuckSoupNAS1
Aspirant

I have zerotier-one_1.4.0_armel.deb successfully installed after altering the two files and performing an apt-get update.

I’m trying to upgrade to zerotier-one_1.8.4_armhf.deb, but get the following error!

root@mynas:/home/admin# apt-get install ./zerotier-one_1.8.4_armhf.deb

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

Note, selecting 'zerotier-one:armhf' instead of './zerotier-one_1.8.4_armhf.deb'

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have

requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable

distribution that some required packages have not yet been created

or been moved out of Incoming.

The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:

zerotier-one:armhf : Depends: libstdc++6:armhf but it is not going to be installed

E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Doug

Message 111 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

I have seen that, but it's usually because you mistyped the file name or something similar.  What it's doing is seeing an entry in  /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zerotier.list (which was put there when you installed the old version) for the ZeroTier repository and using it to determine the update, not what you put on the command line.  So it's trying to install the latest version, which does have dependency issues on a ReadyNAS.  If you are sure you aren't mis-typing the name, try commenting out "deb http://download.zerotier.com/debian/jessie jessie main" in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zerotier.list by putting a hashtag (#) in front of it, then run apt-get update again and try the install again.

Message 112 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

That did seem to work for me, at least after a restart.  I still get Note, selecting 'zerotier-one' instead of './zerotier-one_1.8.7_amd64.deb', but it says that's the latest, so it's not looking at the repository.  If it was looking at the repository, it would try to install 1.10.6, which would fail due to dependencies.

If that doesn't work, I think this should, but I can't test it 100% because I don't have another ReadyNAS that currently needs an update.  But when I try to re-install the same version over itself, it behaves the same as with the repository commented out. 

Anyway, create /etc/apt/preferences.d/zerotier with the following content:

Package: zerotier
Pin: origin ""
Pin-Priority: 999

I did an apt-get update afterward, not sure if it was necessary.

And let us know if you needed this additional step and if it works.

If somebody knows another way, please chime in.

Message 113 of 139
DuckSoupNAS1
Aspirant

It was worth a try:

root@mynas:/etc/apt/preferences.d# cat zerotier
Package: zerotier
Pin: origin ""
Pin-Priority: 999

Did an apt-get update

root@mynas:/home/admin# apt-get install ./zerotier-one_1.8.4_armhf.deb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'zerotier-one:armhf' instead of './zerotier-one_1.8.4_armhf.deb'
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
zerotier-one:armhf : Depends: libstdc++6:armhf but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Message 114 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

OK, so this is odd.  I just downgraded my 212 from 1.8.4 to 1.8.3 and then upgraded back to 1.8.4 and, while it gave me that warning, it did what I asked without needing to do anything else.  And apt list libstdc++6 says I only have the armel version, not the armhf one:  

root@RN212A:/data/Documents# apt list libstdc++6
Listing... Done
libstdc++6/now 4.9.2-10+deb8u2 armel [installed,local]

It does seem to imply I installed it locally.  I may have in my experiments to get the install to work before I discovered all (well, I guess not all) of the "secrets".

And if I try to install anything beyond 1.8.4, it complains about  openssl:armhf, not libstdc++6:armhf.

At this point, I just can't be of any more help.  The version you have still works, so you can stick with it until someone provides a solution.

I have seen one other possible solution through my Googling, but I'm reluctant to tell you to try it.  That's to install the package with dpkg, which doesn't automatically get the dependencies, then fix the dependencies with apt-get install -f.   I'm not sure where that will leave you if there are needed dependencies and apt-get doesn't fix them.

Message 115 of 139
tigerten
Luminary

I just tried with my RN104. The GUI install still works perfectly fine with 1.8.4 armhf. 

If you do want to do it in command line: 

try using dpkg instead. 

1. move the zerotier-one_1.8.4_armhf.deb to /tmp folder

2. cd tmp

3. run this: dpkg -i zerotier-one_1.8.4_armhf.deb

4 check status

Untitled.jpg

Message 116 of 139
DuckSoupNAS1
Aspirant

Thanks for all your help!

Message 117 of 139
DuckSoupNAS1
Aspirant

Same missing dependency...

root@mynas:/home/admin/tmp# dpkg -i zerotier-one_1.8.4_armhf.deb
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libclamav9:armel' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
(Reading database ... 20962 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack zerotier-one_1.8.4_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking zerotier-one (1.8.4) over (1.4.0) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of zerotier-one:
zerotier-one depends on libstdc++6.

dpkg: error processing package zerotier-one (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for systemd (230-7~bpo8+2.netgear3) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
zerotier-one

Message 118 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

You can try apt-get install -f and see if it fixes the dependency, but I suspect it won't.

It appears that I may have installed libstdc++-arm-none-eabi-newlib_4.9.2-10+7~bpo8+1_all.deb manually at some point as I tried to determine the latest release I could install.  You can get it from https://archive.kernel.org/debian-archive/debian/pool/main/libs/libstdc%2B%2B-arm-none-eabi/ 

Message 119 of 139
tigerten
Luminary

out of curiosity, I don't understand why you are not giving web GUI install a try. It is a lot easier. 

Message 120 of 139
DuckSoupNAS1
Aspirant

I was able to load 1.4.0 through the GUI but all later versions fail without any detailed error messages.
Message 121 of 139
dhl
Luminary
Luminary

@tigerten wrote:

out of curiosity, I don't understand why you are not giving web GUI install a try. It is a lot easier. 

What version of the web GUI app were you able to install? Every version I've tried fails without any error details.

Message 122 of 139
tigerten
Luminary

Web install and cli install behave differently. I don’t know why and how. I had better chance of success with web install. The dependencies it needs during cli install are not required if doing it via the gui.

You may have to reset your system. Or reinstall the OS.
Message 123 of 139
dhl
Luminary
Luminary

@tigerten wrote:
Web install and cli install behave differently. I don’t know why and how. I had better chance of success with web install. The dependencies it needs during cli install are not required if doing it via the gui.

You may have to reset your system. Or reinstall the OS.

Hmmm, that's odd. 1.8.4 failed for me after a fresh install of OS 6.10.9. I'll try CLI again after running apt-get update. This definitely feels like voodoo...

Message 124 of 139
tigerten
Luminary

Message 125 of 139
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements