× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

defrag used up more disk space running 6.10.6

areedhimes
Follower

defrag used up more disk space running 6.10.6

i've been removing a lot of files from the nas and noticed it wasn't reclaiming memory. i stumble across a 'mantenance' blog, so peformed my first maintance on the thing.... didn't know i needed to... after reading a few blogs, i set on balancing first. when it finished, free memory moved from 2T to almost 4T. i was pretty happy with that... but following the recommedation, i defrag'd next. when it finished, free memory was 1.76. defragging a disc can't use more memory. 

i'm doing the scrub last, just to complete the cycle I was following, but can't imagine that will have an impact. bit rot is disabled.

Model: RN424|ReadyNAS 424 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: defrag used up more disk space running 6.10.6

@areedhimes wrote:

i defrag'd next. when it finished, free memory was 1.76. defragging a disc can't use more memory. 

If you have snapshots, then defragging can certainly reduce free space.  The way to get it back it to delete some older snapshots.  Then run another balance.

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: defrag used up more disk space running 6.10.6

And since deleting was not adding free space, it is most likely you do have snapshots that are retaining the data you deleted.  That's their job.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements