× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

moving files from one share to another using admin and root

ablade
Aspirant

moving files from one share to another using admin and root

Hi. I just learn my original ReadyNAS Duo v1 share permissions are not ideal, so I'm creating new shares with recommended share permissions, and want to move folders/files from the old shares to the new. Because of the size of each share, I'd like to do the moves connected as "admin" and through the "root", as I understand this will increase the speed of the moves since the process does not go through my computer. Please note, I am leaving the private user shares as is (since their permissions are static).

My questions is, when moving folders/files from share to share connected as "admin" and through the "root", do the folders/files take on the new permissions of the new share?

I assume they do, but want to confirm before I go through this lengthy moving process.

Also, is there a way to check the NAS permissions of a shares' individual folders/files in Windows XP? OS X Mavericks?

Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: moving files from one share to another using admin and r

Why don't you just reset the share permissions instead? You can update owner/group and permissions for the files in the share using the advanced option tab.
Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Why don't you just reset the share permissions instead? You can update owner/group and permissions for the files in the share using the advanced option tab.
Message 2 of 4
ablade
Aspirant

You are correct, and I did just that. Thank you.

But I still wanted to know what happens when I move folders/files from share to share logged in as ReadyNAS "admin".

So installed EnableRootSSH add-on, so I could review share/folder/file permissions before and after moving folder/files as ReadyNAS "admin".

Findings:
1. By making the folder/files moves from within the "c" share, process time was almost instantaneous AND the original owner & group permissions were preserved and carried over to the new share.
2. When moving folder/files directly from share to share (without drilling into the "c" share), processing time was same as folder/file moves logged in as any user AND original owner & group permissions were changed as expected.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements