× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: problematic video playback via LAN on iOS ReadyCLOUD app, from RN102

Luthien
Aspirant

problematic video playback via LAN on iOS ReadyCLOUD app, from RN102

I've never been able yet to get a good performance from my RN102.

It's usable as backup / storage and streaming media via DLNA also seems to work well on my BlueRay player, but anything that goes via SMB or AFP to my laptop is terribly slow.

I've posted a question about the ReadyCLOUD app on Mac OS not seeing the RN102 unit online elsewhere, but the iOS ReadyCLOUD app does work. I can navigate the file system and display photos. However, video files are problematic. They do eventually load, but the lag makes it practically unusable. The playback also stops quite often and has to be started again by tapping the play symbol.

Is there any way to make this unit a bit more zippy? 

updated: updating the firmware of the Airport failed, so I'm now using the MediaAccess TG789bvn modem / router instead (original setup was to use that as modem only, connected to the Airport by ethernet and use that as wifi router). Wifi speed is now 144 Mbps; I'll report back if this works better.

Firmware 6.5.2

OSX 10.12 / iOS 10.02

MacBook Pro, Mid 2012

ReadyNAS 102 is connected to the LAN by ethernet to a  via an Apple Airport that also functions as LAN wifi router MediaAccess TG789bvn modem / router

+ Admin page access via browser is fine. 

- ReadyCLOUD for mac os always shows RN102 offline

+ / - ReadyCLOUD for iOS too slow for video playback

+ / - CIFS / SMB and AFP both work when connecting via the Finder, though often too slow to be useful (navigating / listing directories takes very very very long) 

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Luthien
Aspirant

the readycloud-for-mac issue got resolved thanks to a suggestion from Deniro to register a new MyNetgear account due to some permission-releated issues he had spotted in the log files.

With another account it turns out to work great.

Video playback via the iOS app is a lot better now as well (it uses the same new account), not yet completely stutter-free, but in any case watchable. 

Thanks everyone!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Luthien,

Accessing the NAS through ReadyCloud requires Internet connection and since you are also running wireless, you may also need to check your wireless connection speed. Please also check if your get the same slow connection problem when accessing the video files locally, that is by just using SMB.

Also, what is the current version of the desktop client on Mac OS and app on iOS?

Regards,

Message 2 of 6
Luthien
Aspirant

Hi JennC,

well, I suppose the iOS ReadyCLOUD app would always be wireless - unless there would exist some kind of funky ethernet adapter for the iPhone 🙂

Maybe the post is a bit confusing because I also refer to another post I made about the Mac OS version of the ReadyCLOUD app (which does not work at all for me). This is about the iOS version, and while that does work to a degree, I cannot really watch video files with it. 

So it goes a WiFi connection to the router, and the NAS is connected to the same router via an Ethernet cable.

The wifi network is in the 5 GHz band; RSSI is -54 dBm and noise is -91 dBm. Throughput rate is 300 Mbps.

There are only three devices connected to the LAN via wifi now and none of them is generating a huge load of traffic. 

The speed to connect to the internet through this LAN is excellent; I did a speedtest some days ago and the clocked somewhere like 54 Mb/s down / 30 Mb/s upload. Watching 4K videos on YouTube goes without a glitch. 

Actually, it works better for me to view my own video file if I first upload it to a remote FTP server somewhere and watch them from there. So it seems to me that the bottleneck can only be somewhere in the throughput somewhere in the NAS device. 

The only thing that I can still try is to hook up my laptop with an ethernet adapter to the LAN. But given the above it seems unlikely that that would be a lot better: after all, accessing the internet via my local wifi is fine. 

ReadyCLOUD versions: for the laptop it's 1.4 (Mac OS), for iOS is is 1,5,9 (139)

Thanks!

Message 3 of 6
Luthien
Aspirant

oh, I forgot to answer one thing: viewing those same video files on the laptop, though still using wifi.

I just tested it again with SMB (I found AFP works less reliable).

Accessing the file system on the NAS: goes so-so, listing directory contents takes very long, up to 30-60 seconds. Playback of a mp4 video file is about just as choppy as on the ReadyCLOUD app on the iphone: playback stops and starts again erraticly; it makes them quite impossible to watch. 

Funny thing is that the size of the file does not really matter: it happens with the smaller files of ~6Mb just as well as with larger ones of ~100Mb. 

Message 4 of 6
Luthien
Aspirant

the readycloud-for-mac issue got resolved thanks to a suggestion from Deniro to register a new MyNetgear account due to some permission-releated issues he had spotted in the log files.

With another account it turns out to work great.

Video playback via the iOS app is a lot better now as well (it uses the same new account), not yet completely stutter-free, but in any case watchable. 

Thanks everyone!

Message 5 of 6
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Luthien,

Sorry I lost track of this thread.

I am glad it works now and you were able to get response from Deniro.

Thank you for sharing as well what resolved the problem.

We value your feedback and appreciate your contribution to the community!

Regards,

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements