× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: "Hosts allowed access" - IPs only, or am I doing it wron

christopherw
Aspirant

"Hosts allowed access" - IPs only, or am I doing it wrong?

Just defined my first WAN-accessible share (the /media share) to test, set up 8088 and 8089 on my router to portforward HTTP and SSL respectively and that works fine. On the share in FrontView admin, I originally put 192.168.1.0/24,my.workwanip.tld (obviously my.workwanip.tld is an A record subdomain which points to the work DSL's WAN IP). This resulted in a 403 Forbidden error when trying to view the share - even though it was presented to me in the shares list after I'd authenticated at the prompt via WAN access!

Adding the WAN IP by IP address gave me access straight away, but I thought the ReadyNAS supported defining allowed hosts by either IP address or hostname? (or am I just Doing It Wrong?)
Message 1 of 4
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

Hostname should work. Are the hostname and IP address both DNS forward and reverse resolvable?
Message 2 of 4
lordbowl
Aspirant

I'm having a similar problem.

Using the IP address allows access, but using the hostname does not.

I'm using myhostname.dyndns.org because I don't have a static IP address for the WAN.

I have done a lookup on myhostname.dyndns.org and it resolves to the correct IP address (the one that is allowed access). I don't know how to check forward and reverse resolvability.

Any suggestions?
Message 3 of 4
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

Which protocol is this for?
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation