× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

"Phantom" volumes shown on Performance page in OS 6.10.9

Sandshark
Sensei

"Phantom" volumes shown on Performance page in OS 6.10.9

I had been running 6.9.6 for a long time and recently finally bit the bullet and updated to 6.10.9.  Now, on the System/Performance page of the GUI, the Volume and Utilization graphs show several "phantom" volumes -- volumes I destroyed a very long time ago that were originally on an EDA500 attached to an RD516, then in my main RD5200 (converted to OS6) chassis or in my SAS expansion chassis, from which they were destroyed as I upgraded the main drives and I no longer needed them.  The pull-downs allow me to select only All (the default) or data (the only currently existing volume), so something is aware that the others don't exist.  But these phantoms clog the display unless I manually select just data.  This was not the case when I ran 6.9.6, but the information it's seeing is clearly left over from a long time ago.  I considered that the issue is that the SAS chassis itself wasn't completely "seen" by the NAS.  Volumes moved from the EDA500's or any created via SSH showed up, but the individual drives didn't.   But one of the volumes was moved into bays 7-11 of the main chassis and were completely visible to the OS.

What I don't know is if this is just an annoyance or could be creating some kind of issue of which I'm unaware.  Anybody have a clue where this outdated information is stored?

I know I could clean it up by factory defaulting and starting over, but I've made a lot of changes I'd have to re-do and I don't relish having to restore 65TB of data.

The unit was also trying to snapshot shares that were on a couple of those volumes, but I was able to stop that by deleting the associated configuration files in  /etc/snapper/configs and removing those configurations from editing /etc/sysconfig/snapper.

Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: "Phantom" volumes shown on Performance page in OS 6.10.9

Maybe check /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf and etc/exports

But more likely they are in the sql database - not something I've ever tried to edit.

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: "Phantom" volumes shown on Performance page in OS 6.10.9

Nothing there.  As best I can tell, neither BTRFS nor MDADM are aware of these volumes.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements