× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender(EX6120) Device Lights turns amber/red every now and then

csango
Aspirant

AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender(EX6120) Device Lights turns amber/red every now and then

AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender(EX6120)Device light turns amber evey now and then and then the data throughput drops as expected then turns back again, the Wifi light is always solid Green means the main modem to extender there is no connection issue. When I change the Extender to another brand like TP Link the problem goes away, means the so called costly EX6120 Netgear is in fact of bad quality , thats really frustrating....

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender(EX6120) Device Lights turns amber/red every now and then

You didn't give us much to go off. 

You have the EX6120?

Firmware on it? 

What router is it connected to? 

What size home is it in? 

What are the interior walls of the home made from? 

How far from the router is it? 

the devices having slow downs, are they on the 2.4ghz or 5ghz band?  2.4ghz is more sensitive to interference and is a slower network. And the Device link led doesn't differentiate between device to what device/band its slowed down on. 

a couple things you can try. 

1. Do a wireless channel scan. Maybe the band you're on is having interference. You'd change the wireless channel on the router

2. check the positioning of the extender. Sometimes a lateral move helps more moving closer/further away if something in the walls is blocking signal

Message 2 of 5
csango
Aspirant

Re: AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender(EX6120) Device Lights turns amber/red every now and then

@plemansHere are the details

Serial # is 4D6C0875A0BED, I have updated firmware 1.0.0.58

Its connected to Nokia Wireless Router given by my ISP and the plan I am on is 100+ Mbps plan & other devices/Extender get at lest 40+ Mbps speeds

Distance between main router and Extender is around 30 Feet. (max) No walls no interference just straight sight/air between two devices.

The Distance from Extended and laptop/workstation is 8 Feet line of sight straight and there is one wooden door of 2 inches thickness (door is closed as its my study room/office)

I used both 2.4 & 5 GHz both drop off device connections regualrly however 2.4 is more sensitive YES.

Hope this helps

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 3 of 5
csango
Aspirant

Sorry a correction on firmware its 1.0.0.64

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

@csango wrote:

@plemansHere are the details

Serial # is 4D6C0875A0BED, I have updated firmware 1.0.0.58

Its connected to Nokia Wireless Router given by my ISP and the plan I am on is 100+ Mbps plan & other devices/Extender get at lest 40+ Mbps speeds----is this the speed the EX6120 gets? or what speed does it get? 

Distance between main router and Extender is around 30 Feet. (max) No walls no interference just straight sight/air between two devices.

The Distance from Extended and laptop/workstation is 8 Feet line of sight straight and there is one wooden door of 2 inches thickness (door is closed as its my study room/office)

I used both 2.4 & 5 GHz both drop off device connections regualrly however 2.4 is more sensitive YES.---So more issues with 2.4ghz? Try switching the channels on the 2.4ghz from the router. 

Hope this helps

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7