× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't get WiFi extender setup

hwms43
Follower

Can't get WiFi extender setup

I have been following the set up that I found online. I haven't been able to get the lights to come on like the instructions said. Therefore I haven't been able to get it set up. I tried the wps set up and the second option. I tried connecting the extender to an Ethernet cable as an access point. I have recently set up a new modem and router. That may be adding to my confusion and causing me to make mistakes.
Model: EX6100|AC750 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 6
hwms
Tutor

Ok, Here are some details. I realize that my original post was rambling.

I am using PCLOS KDE and Firefox browser.

I am trying to connect my range extender to my laptop with an ethernet cable.

I have my extender powered up and an ethernet cable from the extender to my laptop. I have the laptop connected to wifi.

I copy my wifiext.net into a web browser's address bar.

After I hit Enter I am informed that I am not connected to my extender's wifi network.

I go into my router and look for the ip address for my extender. It is not there because I am not connected to it.

I am going in circles and not accomplishing anything.

I see the EX6100_netgear_2gext network. If I try to connect to that network, my wifi network disconnects and it doesn't connect to the EX6100_netgear_2gext network. So, what am I doing wrong or not doing that I should be?

Message 2 of 6
hwms
Tutor

I have the range extender powered up and in the same room as the router and laptop.

If I try to setup the range extender using wps, I push the wps button on the range extender and the the button on my nighthawk AC1750 router, the wps light goes out after blinking a while. I am beginning to wonder if the RE is bad? Any ideas, anyone?

Message 3 of 6
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello hwms43,

Please factory reset the extender by pressing on the small black button using a pin for 15+ seconds then join the NETGEAR_EXT wifi network using a phone or laptop. After you connect to the NETGEAR_EXT network with your phone or laptop, browse to www.mywifiext.net and follow the setup instructions.

Christian 

Message 4 of 6
hwms
Tutor

@Christian_R 

Thanks for your support. I talked with someone on the phone from Netgear and found out from him that I needed Windows to set the RE up. I was using Linux. I reformated my laptop and installed Windows 7 and fumbled around and got the RE set up and it is working. I have a Netgear22-5G_2GEXT wireless network that is 100%. The regular wireless network is 60%. However, my laptop sometimes seems to connect to the weaker network. Apparently, I have to tweak some setting. Anyway, I am not sure what I did correctly to get it set up but it is working. I am pleased. Thanks for all you help.

Harold

Message 5 of 6
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

hwms,

Happy to hear! Have a wonderful week!

Christian 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies