× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extender Recommendation

OzBoy08
Aspirant

Extender Recommendation

Hi Everyone

I have a DGND3300 Wireless Gateway installed in my home office (downstairs). This situation was OK when I only had one computer and it was located in my home office. However, now with the advent of smartphones and tablets, I find that I need Internet access upstairs.

Here is what I would like to achieve.

I would like to get a range extender and connect it to the DGND3300 via a CAT6 cable. It would be nice if the recommended extender has GbE ports so I can attach my children's computers via a cable rather than wirelessly.

Can someone please tell me if Netgear has a Wireless Extender that will perform its task but allow me to connect it to the DGND3300 via a CAT6 cable ? GbE Ports would be nice too.

Sincere apologies if this is in the wrong forum or sounds silly. But any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanking everyone in advance.
Message 1 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Extender Recommendation

Your question is not wireless range extender products.

You need access point devices if you are using ethernet cable to the 2nd unit

ANY wireless router can also turn in to AP mode (feature in the GUI)
Message 2 of 6
Maxime
Aspirant

WNAP210 could be the one. It's not Gigabit Ethernet but it has many tricks in its hat and should do what you want 😉
Message 3 of 6
watcher
Aspirant

My first question is why GIGABIT? I am assuming you don't want a water downed solution.
You want the speed to do sharing of files at the local level. ( your wireless is slow in comparison )
I'd look at the one below this should give you a good experience as well.

N600 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ROUTER WNDR3700

And just in case you want a quick easy solution ( a little cheaper) check out this one.

RANGEMAX N150 WIRELESS ROUTER
WPN824N
Message 4 of 6
OzBoy08
Aspirant

Thank you everyone for your very informative replies.

@jmizoguchi .. always enjoy reading your posts. From the sounds of it, an AP is what I require.

@Maxime .. GbE is rather important as I will be connecting two computers to it for my kids school work. More importantly, I will be connecting a Topfield TRF-2400 PVR to the network so my wife can watch Youtube on her 48" LED TV. And if this works, then I will be using the Topfield to stream content from my NAS (Netgear MyStora).

@Watcher ... Why GbE ? Read above. Thanks for your recommendations.

Now I am based in Australia. The cheapest AP that I can find is a TP-Link rubbish for AUD55. However, one of our online reseller's has just advertised a D-Link DIR-645 for AUD49. That is the cheapest router/AP that I can find in our country at the moment. D-Link also have an article on their forum on how to setup one of these routers as an AP (connecting to my DGND3300 via a CAT6 cable). So I have decided to take jmizoguchi's recommendation of an AP and my original thought of a router and combined them to give you ... D-Link's DIR-645. I hate using anything that is not Netgear but at this point in time, I am rather dollar conscious as SWMBO is with-holding funds, so this solution will have to do.

Thanks again everyone. But please, no more recommendations as I now have a solution. 😄
Message 5 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Good choice. Enjoy!
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements