× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R8000 and X4s Mesh Network - How can I see what devices are connected to the X4S?

Daskarzine
Tutor

Nighthawk R8000 and X4s Mesh Network - How can I see what devices are connected to the X4S?

Hi - just set up a mesh network and am trying to work out how can I see what devices are connected to the X4S? I'd like to see which devices have moved to the new device so I can further troubleshoot WiFi issues I'm having in my house.

I've checked the Netgear Genie app and it tells me I have 40 devices connected, but I can't really see if that's all to the R8000 or if that includes the new X4s!

I've tried the X4S local login, but that doesn't seem to tell me if anything's connected?!

The Nighthawk app also doesn't tell me anything!

I'm sure (hoping) it's simple, can anyone help?

THANKS!

Model: EX7500|AC2200 Nighthawk X4S Tri Band Wall Plug WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 12
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Nighthawk R8000 and X4s Mesh Network - How can I see what devices are connected to the X4S?

Hello Daskarzine - Does the extender have the same network name (SSID) as the router? 

~Christian 

Message 2 of 12
Daskarzine
Tutor

Hi Christian_R - yes it does!

Message 3 of 12
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Daskarzine,

If you log into the router's admin page, you'll be able to locate your extender in the attached/connected devices list. From there, you'll be able to locate the extender's IP address. After capturing the IP address, enter it in a web browser and you'll be able to log into your extender's admin page to see the connected devices list. 

~Christian 

Message 4 of 12
Daskarzine
Tutor

Thanks for your reply! I can't see the device in the connected devices list. I currently have 35 connected. Most show me what they are - Apple/Amazon devices etc - there are around 10 that don't tell me and I have entered each one in a web browser and none come up with an admin page? Most simply don't show anything..... Is there another way? I have this set up as Mesh too.

Message 5 of 12
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Daskarzine - You can use the MAC address of the extender to cross check it on the router's admin page. Otherwise, you'll need to wired a device to the extender and log in from the wired device. 

~Christian 

Message 6 of 12
Daskarzine
Tutor

Thanks -  good call! I can see it now, but it doesn't show a IP Address - it's the only attached device that doesn't!!

Message 7 of 12
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Daskarzine - Would you mind providing a screenshot of that while blacking out the MAC address of your device.

~Christian 

Message 8 of 12
Daskarzine
Tutor

Sure, I've shown some others for context and the arrow points to the blank ip!

Message 9 of 12
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Daskarzine - Thanks for the screenshot. So a couple more things.

1. Can you ensure the R8000 is on the latest FW

2. Do you have a device you can wire into one of the ports of the extender? 

3. What is the current status of the LED lights on the extender?

More so, we can factory reset the extender and run through the setup again to see if the issue persists. 

~Christian 

Message 10 of 12
Daskarzine
Tutor

Thanks!

Firmware was and  is up to date: 

Firmware Version  V1.0.4.28_10.1.54

The extender doesn't allow the connection of an ethernet cable - no port?

All lights are on and blue!!

Thanks

R

Message 11 of 12
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Daskarzine - I have sent you a message. Please respond at your earliest convenience. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7