× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WiFi Extension to R7000

GreenPeter
Tutor

WiFi Extension to R7000

Hi -

I have recently installed a Nighthawk R7000, but it needs a range extension to get to some parts of the house. The R7000 is AC1900 rated. I'm thinking of buying the EX6150 range extender, which is rated up to AC1200. Is this still compatible with the R7000, albeit at a slower speed? I'm put off buying an AC1900 extender as the price is 2-3 times higher than an AC1200 unit.

many thanks for any advice.

Peter

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

Re: WiFi Extension to R7000

Should work, and as you mentioned, slower - but 50% slower, because of the nature extender's, they are penalized to about 50% loss of throughput. I would suggest buyng a router that can run in Access Point mode, with direct etehrnet connection, back to your base router, or, look at connecting the router and AP with ethernet powerline products. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
netwrks
Master

Should work, and as you mentioned, slower - but 50% slower, because of the nature extender's, they are penalized to about 50% loss of throughput. I would suggest buyng a router that can run in Access Point mode, with direct etehrnet connection, back to your base router, or, look at connecting the router and AP with ethernet powerline products. 

Message 2 of 3
GreenPeter
Tutor

thnx for this, Netwrks. Have taken your suggestion re powerline products.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7