× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi to my pool area

Acc715
Tutor

Wifi to my pool area

I have an older model modem/router. C700v2 nighthawk. I’m looking to get wifi out by my pool area which is about 100 fr from my router. The electricians ran a cat 6 wire out to the pool area. So I just do a wireless access point? I’m not sure this router has Poe plug to run the wire out there and power it. What are my options? The least expensive options. Thanks.
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Wifi to my pool area

Do you have power out there with the cat 5e cable? 

If so, then any outdoor rated access point should work. 

If not, you might check into AP's that support poe and use a power injector to power it. 

Message 2 of 7
Acc715
Tutor

I have power out there. So I would just need an access router? The one I’m looking at is a Poe which the power comes from the cat 6 wire. Do I need a special router for that?

Thank you,
Message 3 of 7
marcoronzi
Tutor

Sounds like you've got a Cat 6 cable running out to your pool area, so setting up a wireless access point is a good way to get Wi-Fi out there. You can grab a cheap access point that supports your wireless standard and power it up with an injector or separate power source.

Once you've connected it to the Cat 6 cable, you can configure it to extend your existing Wi-Fi network.

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

Many access points that use POE also accept their own power source so its kind of on you to decide which route you want to go. 

But you will want to find one that is outdoor rated. 

Message 5 of 7
marcoronzi
Tutor

You are right.  If we're planning to use an access point outside, make sure we get one that's specifically rated for outdoor use. Otherwise, it might not hold up so well in the elements!

Message 6 of 7
Acc715
Tutor

Thank you. Can we assume I have no idea what you’re talking about haha. I have a net gear modem/router so when you say something that supports my wireless standard I need to get a wireless access point that supports my router right? I’m assuming any net gear wireless access point would. What do you mean power it with an injector? I have power out there too but I’d like to not have to buy a separate power source and figure out how to plug it in. They ran the line to the pool equipment which has a utility plug which I can use to plug it in but the box is small and I’m not sure the plug will fit with the cover closed. Some access points are powered through the cat 6 wire correct? If I did that I would need a special port on my router right?
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7