Who Me Too'd this topic

Satellite disconnecting

Hello Orbi experts

I have an almost new Orbi RBR50 and satellite set up at home.

Problem: My Orbi satellite drops connection to the Orbi router intermittently. This has only recently started (there hasn't been any new wifi connected items since installing Orbi).

Observations: Without apparent cause, the satellite leds start to flash white quite fast, then flash white slower, then solid purple and then off as the satellite reconnects back to the router. This causes my iOS devices to lose internet connection until the satellite has reconnected, which can take around 5 mins. This occurs at random times of the day and night with little or no external influence on the satellite (i.e. multiple movie streaming etc).

Something that might be an associated isssue is that, for example, if I attempt to stream a movie on my iPad Pro, (which is located approx. 8m from the router and 8m from the satellite), the iPad tells me that I have a wifi signal, (mostly with two wifi bars but somethimes with three), but the Orbi app tells me that there is no internet and ends up either crashing or spinning until I close the app). The wifi signal strength evident on the iPad varies significantly and is often thr cause for the internet connection to be droped entirely, the connection is then lost. Even if the iPad Pro is positioned next to the satellite, it rarely shows more than two bars of wifi strength.

It might be coincidental but I have noticed that if I switch off the satellite, I get a more stable connection, even though the wifi signal strength is diminished further.

Solutions tried: I have tried moving the satellite closer to the router. When it was working and stable, it was located about 10m (direct distance) from the router. I have tried moving it to a location 8m direct distance from the router, but this has not helped. Last night at around 2:30am with the satelite located near to my iPad, the satellite disconnected and then reconnected - no one was using the internet at that time.

I have also tried rebooting the router and after reading a few threads switched 'Daisy-Chain Topology' off. This hasn't made any difference.

I have tried setting the 2.4GHz chanel to 1 (aas per other threads) but this has made no difference.

Set up and other things: The router is connected to my TP-Link ADSL modem/ router (TD-8980) via ethernet. The ADSL modem is connected to the main incoming telephone mastersocket and has wifi mode switched off. The Orbi router has the most current firmware V2.5.0.38 installed. I think the router is set up in Router mode. The ORBI portal is showing the Internet as Good and the satellite 'backhaul status' as good (at the moment). The router maintains connection to the internet and has not yet started to randomly disconnect. I do not have more than two other neighbourhood wifi networks in my vicinity (I notice a BT Hub and TalkTalk network mostly, but these have never caused any issues before Orbi arrived). I have a total of 10 devices connected, three are ethernet wired into the router, the others are via wifi. These seem to be working ok.

I have the 2.4GHz chanel set to 'Auto', and the 5Ghz is set to 'Ch36'. I am using WPA2-PSK [AES] security settings. IPv6 is disabled.

I live in a fairly modern, medium sized four bed house that has internal walls made of drylining and timber stud.

Help and solutions?: What can I do to get a more stable wifi mesh network as at the moment, as I don't think the Orbi system has improved wifi across the house.

Many thanks

Chris

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Who Me Too'd this topic