Who Me Too'd this topic

saurin13
Tutor

Orbi RBR850 DHCP issues

I have an Orbi RBR850 Wifi 6 mesh system with 3 satellites using an ethernet wired backhaul.  I have netgear GS108 switches on the LAN as well.  

Starting a couple of weeks ago, I could no longer connect to the internet - both for wired and wireless devices. Devices would show a 169.254.x.x. IP address.   I even did a factory reset of all the units and connected them one at a time. Wroked for a little while.  At that time I had some other brand switches, and I changed them to the GS108 which I had read works better with the orbi.  Everything seemed to work. I also upgraded the software on all connected devices (including a Sony TV that runs android that seemed to have particular problems).  For a few days its working, then again today my wireleless laptop (macbook air) showed a 169.254.x.x ip address. I rebooted the base (did not touch anything else), and everything works now.  

I am connected to the WAN through FIOS gigabit.  

Any ideas on whats happening? why are the random DHCP issues? Is it better to set the orbi in bridge mode and use a different router for DHCP?  Does orbi just suck at DHCP and I should switch over to the new Eero Pro when it comes out?

Who Me Too'd this topic