Who Me Too'd this topic

Ultramarine440
Aspirant

RBR50 Worked Flawlessy since Purchase in 2018 - Now experiencing Wifi Disconnects from my devices

Hello All,

I have have had a flawless WiFi setup with the RBR50 and one RBS50 satellite at my home from the initial setup back in 2018.  Over the past few weeks, I have been experiencing intermittent wireless disconnects on multiple devices(possibly all).

carrier:  Spectrum

modem:  technicolor DPC3216 DOCSIS 3.0 16X4

router:  Orbi RBR50

satellite:  Orbi RBS50

firmware:  V2.7.3.22(latest as of September 2021)

I have experienced disconnects from gaming consoles, smart tv's, computers....just about any wifi device that I have been using for more than a few minutes...long enough to experience a random disconnect.  The obvious cases are netflix streaming or playing an xbox gamepass game that requires a constant internet connection.

What I have tried so far:

- turning off cable modem and wifi, powering on cable modem, waiting for solid connection, and then powering on the Orbi hardware.  Everything comes back online with no issues....but the random wifi disconnects continue to happen.

- adjusting my hardware setup:  The APC power strip had my router, cable modem, a network attached storage appliance, my work laptop power supply, and a lamp connected, so I dropped the power connections down to just the modem/router/laptop.  This did not help, but I just wanted to rule out an overloaded power outlet.

- changing the wifi password:  I like to change that periodically anyway, but that did not help

Interesting Observation for Today:

I decided to connect my work laptop to the RBR50 with ethernet cable this morning, thinking that it would eliminate what I thought was a WiFi issue, but my wired connection to the laptop dropped after an hour or so!  I unplugged the ethernet cable and went back to Wifi, and now I am currently working(and streaming video from an IT conference at the moment).

Summary:  Getting random disconnects from both wired AND wireless connections to my RBR50/RBS50 setup.  This is after about 2.5 years of flawless home network operation with the same orbi hardware and spectrum cable modem.  Very interesting that I just ran into an ethernet disconnect today while trying to work hard-wired on my laptop this morning.

I wanted to try to avoid taking the router completely out of the equation, but maybe that is what I need to do next.  I still have my old router that I can hook up temporarily if necessary.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Who Me Too'd this topic