Who Me Too'd this solution

SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: RBR850 IPv6 dropping from Xfinity XB7 hourly

@yetimemphis wrote:

It seems like using the Orbi in AP mode while the modem is unbridged would be the simplest method.  That said, would turning off the routing functions keep the satellites from working or cause other significant losses?  I have an Xbox wired to one of the satellites and the modem (XB7) and router (Orbi) are in the center of house.  The Xbox is in a corner.  It needs the wired connection to a satellite to function well.

I also have a similar setup: XB7 + RBK754 + IPv6 enabled + Brigde mode initially, but I've since switched Orbi to AP mode.

XB7 routing + DNS + DHCP + IPv6 functions are already validated by Comcast within their network/servers and Orbi is a WiFi beast in AP.  If Comcast makes any change to their internal servers or XB7 firmware, I don't have to worry about compatibility issue with XB7 not wrking after XB7 firmware update or Orbi firmware update.

This setup will help me avoid any potential compatibility issue between XB7 DNS/DHCP (IPv6) servers and Orbi. I also get FREE parental control, which is disabled with XB7 in Bridge mode. XB7 parental control is a big improvement comparing to paid Orbi parental control.

Unless you're using a specific feature that's only available when Orbi is in Router mode and that feature is missing from XB7 as well, switching to AP mode will simpify your WiFi network with less headache due to compatibility issues as a result of firmware updates.

Orbi_v4.6.7.5.png

View solution in original post

Who Me Too'd this solution