Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 No access to parental control settings

nhenson22
Aspirant

RBR50 No access to parental control settings

I have never had to use the parental control settings on my Orbi RBR50 until recently when I decided it might be time to introduce it. I logged into the router admin and navigated to where I enable Circle. I was prompted with a message that Circle was no longer something that Netgear sold and prompted to upgrade to smart parental controls. I hit the upgrade button and allowed the router to reboot.
I now have no option in the router admin to actually setup these smart parental controls, as well as the parental controls option disappearing from my Orbi app on Android.

Have tried a couple of the fixes suggested in threads I have found on here with similar issues, but not had any luck. These also seem to be quite old threads.

Any ideas on how I can get access to this setting so that I can set it up?
I have a base router and 3 satellites as I live in a 3 storey house with a big concrete staircase right down the middle. Having to upgrade this setup would be very expensive just to gain access to a feature which I feel should still be supported?

Current FW version on RBR 50 - V2.7.5.4
Orbi app installed on a Pixel 7, latest version installed

Many thanks

Message 1 of 12

I have the same issue with this device. How can I resolve this issue?

Message 2 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

All SPC controls are handled thru the Orbi app:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Smart-Home-Parental/Smart-Parental-Controls-Help-and-Inform...

@nhenson22 wrote:

I have never had to use the parental control settings on my Orbi RBR50 until recently when I decided it might be time to introduce it. I logged into the router admin and navigated to where I enable Circle. I was prompted with a message that Circle was no longer something that Netgear sold and prompted to upgrade to smart parental controls. I hit the upgrade button and allowed the router to reboot.
I now have no option in the router admin to actually setup these smart parental controls, as well as the parental controls option disappearing from my Orbi app on Android.

Have tried a couple of the fixes suggested in threads I have found on here with similar issues, but not had any luck. These also seem to be quite old threads.

Any ideas on how I can get access to this setting so that I can set it up?
I have a base router and 3 satellites as I live in a 3 storey house with a big concrete staircase right down the middle. Having to upgrade this setup would be very expensive just to gain access to a feature which I feel should still be supported?

Current FW version on RBR 50 - V2.7.5.4
Orbi app installed on a Pixel 7, latest version installed

Many thanks

Message 3 of 12
nhenson22
Aspirant

I have no option available to me in the Orbi app either for anything parental control related.

When I updated the router to SPC, the Parental Controls tile disappeared from my Orbi app.
There is also no option to add this from the menu.

I am running the latest android app, and have also removed and reinstalled.

Can confirm that I have ruled out all of the below also -

If you cannot find the NETGEAR Smart Parental Control tile in the Orbi App, please make sure that the following conditions are met:
1. You are in a country where SPC is available. What countries is NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls available in?
2. Your NETGEAR single sign-on (SSO) account is registered to a country where SPC is available in your MyNETGEAR account profile settings.
https://kb.netgear.com/000063796/What-countries-is-NETGEAR-Smart-Parental-Controls-available-in?lang...

3. The NETGEAR SSO account that you use to log in to the Orbi app is the same account that your router is registered to.
4. Your router isn’t in AP (access point) mode.

Thanks

Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to contact NG support about then. 

Message 5 of 12
nhenson22
Aspirant

Unfortunately NG support is not an option.
They won't let me raise a support case as my complimentary support date has passed.
The only option I get is to search the knowledge base or visit the community for help!

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

One item to check would be the My Subscriptions on the Orbi app. 
Might try a full on factory reset and setup from scratch and walk thru the setup routine with the Orbi app and see if this applies the subscription to the system. 

Other than this, not sure what else, unless maybe NG is not supporting Circle or SPC on the 50 series Orbi system. 
FYI, the all ORBI AC series has gone into EoL status so won't see much FW updates unless some major security issue is seen. 

Message 7 of 12

Haven't got my issue resolved yet!

Message 8 of 12
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @archidealhome and @nhenson22 ,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you are not able to use Smart Parental Controls on your Orbi app after upgrading from Circle. Users in the were able to resolve this issue by uninstalling the Orbi app then doing a factory reset on the Orbi Mesh System then reinstalling the Orbi app. 

Please navigate to the link below for instructions on how to successfully factory reset your Orbi Mesh system:

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

Best,
Kevin
Community Team

Message 9 of 12
nhenson22
Aspirant

@KevinLiT 

Thanks for the advice, have just completed a completed a painful factory reset, reinstalled the orbi app and finished setting up.
Everything is exactly as it was before. No SPC options in the app, and no mention of it in the router admin either.

What are my other options?

Thanks

Message 10 of 12
nhenson22
Aspirant

@KevinLiT 

I also rolled back firmware to 2.7.3.22, but still no parental controls options reappearing...

Message 11 of 12
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @nhenson22 ,

Thanks for providing that information please check your private messages for additional options.

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7