× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR450/500 New Firmware Timeline

JayAsher
Aspirant

XR450/500 New Firmware Timeline

Anyone know if or when we might get a new firmware released for the Nighthawk XR450/XR500?

This router was really good when I first purchased it several years ago, but as time went on, and firmware updates were released, I've had nothing but issues.  I'm currently on the latest release (v2.3.2.134), and it's a complete bundle of hot garbage.  Sadly, the issues began well before this version, so with each new release, I updated, hoping that issues would be fixed, and while some were, others were introduced.

Before anyone says "factory reset your router," or "try these troubleshooting tips..."  I've done them all, some of them multiple times and using various methods.  The only thing I have not done is reverted back to a previous version of the firmware (this time...I did that before, and still had some issues), which is mostly because I'm just tired of messing with it; I would simply like Netgear to acknowledge and resolve the issues that are present in patch v.134, and without giving us new bugs to deal with.

On any given day, I have the following issues:

DHCP constantly renewing leases, causing temporary outages, and during this time, I can't even access DumaOS.

QoS, which I've had to disable, due to major issues there.

Ethernet ports just ceasing to function, which is a relatively new problem (for me anyway) (rebooting fixes this for a while).

Complete loss of internet functionality, even though I'm still connected to the router, either with WiFi or Ethernet.

"Theme" issues showing up in the log, such as "[DumaOS] The selected theme does not exist: 'default', Friday, January 12, 2024 06:51:18," and "[DumaOS] Theme path does match manifest 'default', Friday, January 12, 2024 06:51:18," and "[DumaOS] Cloudsync Themes result 'false','All mirrors are down', Friday, January 12, 2024 06:51:18."

Most of the issues above require me to have to reboot the router to get it working again for an unknown amount of time, and sometimes it requires more than one reboot.  I'm just really tired of having to screw around with this router to get it to function properly, in particular because this IS a gaming router, because I AM a gamer, so having your internet grind to a halt in the middle of a game because of your very expensive purpose-driven router is a bit asinine, especially when this bugged bundle of junk firmware was released years ago.  At this point, I'm going to guess that Netgear has given up writing firmware for this older router, and that we will not get a new release.  The only thing keeping me from replacing this router, and with a different brand altogether, is the hope that they'll just fix the damn firmware any day now, but that hope is quickly dwindling.

So, if any of you have any insight as to if/when they might release a new firmware version for this router, I'd love to see what the timeline looks like, otherwise, sorry Netgear, I'm off your products for good.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: XR450/500 New Firmware Timeline

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 4
JayAsher
Aspirant

Thanks for that!  I've just updated to the latest firmware version that NetDuma has released (rc14), and am hopeful that it will resolve some issues.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to post over on the ND forum site regarding any feedback for there beta. 

Enjoy. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7