Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi6 Intermittent Performance Degradation

hmvm12345
Tutor

Hi Kevin, thanks for this input. At this point, removing one of the RBS units has vastly improved my Internet performance. I have noted high latency numbers in the messages above, and those have now disappeared. That one unit doesn't seem to want to reset so I'd be interested in thoughts on what I can do to restore it.

As for my MBP, the issues were mostly about which specific base station unit it was attaching to when I had 3 units. I checked and 'Low Power Mode' was off already. I don't think the TCP/IP level settings should affect things. Now that I'm down to 2 units I think this is less of an issue anyways.

Message 26 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

I've had to occasionally do a 30-30-30 reset on an RBS if it failed to reset or not fully reset with a 15 second button press then release, which should be tried first. Last resort is the 30-30-30 reset process. 

Message 27 of 37
hmvm12345
Tutor

I really thought that removing that one RBS had resolved the situation, but it has recurred.

Current state: RBR is directly connected to ONT (no IP equipment in the middle). I have 1 RBS, probably 40ft away. My laptop (2019 MBP) is connected via ethernet to the RBS with wifi disabled.

For the most part, I'm doing 400M down/100M up, with ~10ms latency on the Cloudflare tests. But once yesterday, and at this very moment, I'm doing 7 down/5 up with ~1s latency. Yesterday, I noticed that orbilogin showed the RBS as Disconnected, and the same is true right now. This is confounding to me because the only connectivity I have is through that RBS, so it is connected in some form.

The situation yesterday resolved itself with a restart of the RBS and I'm about to try that right now. Any debug steps to recommend?

Message 28 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using on the RBR currently?

Can you move the RBS closer to the RBR? Say 30-35feet and try again?

Try trying this one RBS, turn it off and put the 2nd RBS is place of the 1st one and see if the issue continues. 

Message 29 of 37
hmvm12345
Tutor

To add some color:

- when I powered off the RBS, I lost connectivity from my laptop

- after the RBS reconnected (took about 10 mins) my network stats are good again. 

Message 30 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

And then over time the performance will degrade? 

Message 31 of 37
hmvm12345
Tutor

Channels - 2.4:1, 5:48

The RBS I'm using right now replaced the one that was sitting at my desk for nearly 2 years. Swapping them just brings me back to the situation I had until the change I made on Tuesday. 

I could move closer but I need some diagnostic to know that I'm in a better state. I could move but the power off/power on brings me back to an uncertain state even if the numbers show good at the time. The rest of this will illustrate my point.

WRT period for degradation, there isn't a fixed period or gradual drop, but here are some times:

Tues 1/30 10pm ET - that was when I took one RBS out the picture and went wired to swapped unit. Great numbers starting then

Thur 2/1 2pm ET - this is when I first noticed the recurrence. Restart of the RBS got me back in business.

Fri 2/2 9:30am ET - another recurrence. Again RBS restart has done the trick.

Message 32 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

So do you see this issue with all RBS disabled and just connecting to the RBR? Any kind of degradation here? If not, then I'm leaning towards the RBS being the problem. If you do see degradation on the RBR, then possible the RBR is the problem and would need to be replaced. One way to check this would be to see if you can find another 750 series online from a place that has a good refund policy. Checking a new 2nd system could be telling as well.

Another suggestion would be to take the system to a different location, say friend, neighbor or family member and see if the problem follows. Would be kind of telling if it did or did not follow. 

Message 33 of 37
hmvm12345
Tutor

Yeah, this is exclusively exhibiting itself through connecting to the RBS units. My wife who works right by the RBR doesn't see any of these effects at all.

I get your other ideas, but it's just not practical, especially when it doesn't manifest immediately - hence my ask for a diagnostic in the system.  

Message 34 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

K, so possible the RBS are the cause then. 

You can do this, enabled debug logging on the one RBS web page at the RBS IP address/debug.htm. 

Soon as you notice the degradation connected to the one RBS, save off the logs and put them up on a cloud service share. Private Message me the link. 

@KevinLiT 

Message 35 of 37
hmvm12345
Tutor

@FURRYe38  Got into the state again today. Have DM'ed you a link to the debug logs. Thanks

Message 36 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

HI, Haven't seen any DMs regarding your links. 

Just checking with you. 

Have you contacted NG support yet? 

Message 37 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7